Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
mac5793
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Too many problems

Sorry to hear about you problems with your Sporty. I have a 04 1200 C that I purchased new that has been bullet proof. As this was my first Harley purchase I did a lot of research as I have always ridden the Metric bikes in the past. I have been very pleased with my 04 and expect that it will be passed on down to my son once he is old enough to start ridding.

If the bike was mine and I was having this much trouble I would be lobbying the local dealer as well as the motor company to swap out the bike for another.

Let us know how everthing turns out.

Mac5793

Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after getting the bike back today. They said the hose from the bottom of the gas tank; peckcock hose fell off and with it the engine gets no gas and wont start. This is so lame. Had the mechainic put it on correctally when he was putting everything back together (i had the gasket replaced in the push rods. two days ago) then this wouldn't even had happened. So for you riders out there, if its a time ur bike is turning over but not starting. Check your ****.. lol

Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

SC: It still sounds to me like your bike's wiring may have serious problems. I would suggest buying a Service Manual and spending an afternoon tracing out all wiring and looking for a pinched wire, a wire not seating in a connector, etc. You would have to pull a lot of things off the bike to be able to do that, but to me it would be worth it. Also, you might do a search thru member "Molsenice's posts from last year. He posted a very complete story of having to make H-D actually take an '05 Sportster back and give him a new '06. His problems sound a lot like yours.

On an aside, my wife has a '04 883 C with 8000 plus and I have a '05 1200 R with 7500 plus miles and we have not had one problem with the basic bikes. We did have to rejet the carbs after paying our Harley taxes. I changed to Progressive shocks and fork springs out of choice because I like a very firm suspension. Don't give up yet, just find a dealer that will get the bike right and then enjoy it! .................................... BC

Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
eddybo69
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That little vacume line came off the petcock on my dyna while I was visiting new orleans for the steel pony rally. of course it came off in an area that you didnt really want to visit after dark, and it was dusk. It took me an my brother about 15 minutes to figure it out and get the hell out of there. If we hadnt figured it out w/n another 5 minutes I was going to leave my bike and ride out on the back of my brothers bike. Of course it happened after I had just replaced some parts and must have pulled it partway off. This is probably what your dealer mechanic did. I wish you luck with your electrical snafus, if you got a bad bike (it happens with every brand) and you continue to have problems, there are lemon laws that allow redress.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with your troubles - I lived the gauntlet last year with my 05 1200c - dealer was always stand up but it was one thing after another - MOTOCO replaced it in November - stand up folks - good luck and a partial list of my troubles:

Crank sensor - non running
Voltage reg - non running stranded 50 miles from home - thank god for HOG towing
Rocker box leak
spedometer reading high (15mph high at 65)
no oil - reason found - bad valve seals
exhaust sheild weld snapped
popping carb - eventually turnned SEAC into no AC - large holes
15mpg - never found reason - changed plugs every other tank

Like I said - bike got replaced and I was happy to be rid of it, longest number of days it ran last season in a row - 21 - tis the truth

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer

What did you get rid of it for? Another 1200? My list has already began and i think it will get as long as yours. Unfortunatly about the lemon laws is it says it needs to be the same problem three times. Ive had it not run twice, however difference cause each time. I need to find out if that counts or not. To protect most companies im sure it does matter. Ride on....