Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaming, I'm sure... but mustache bar for a Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Dreaming, I'm sure... but mustache bar for a Nightster?

For bombing around town, I *really* like my mid-controls on my Nighty; however, after being in the saddle for a long ride, my long legs get cramped up from resting in that horrid 90 degree position. I am thinking about biting the bullet and getting forward controls but that, like now, leaves me with only one place to put my boots (as opposed to being able to rest my boots on my my current pegs AND highway pegs). Keep reading!

I do not like the look of the regular rounded crash bar on a Nightster and I do not like the look of highway pegs mounted directly to the frame (it's what? 14" up from the mid-controls? Way too close and cluttered IMHO).

Some of my riding buddies don't think there's anywhere to mount a mustache bar to a Nightster. With that said, does anyone have one on their Nightster and if so, what steps were needed to mount it? What brand mustache bar did you use? I tried searching this Sportsters models forum and was depressed to see no results for "mustache bar Nightster." :/

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i realize this advice is far outside your notion of riding comfortably, but i feel compelled to share some insight.

stretched-out riding is only good if you have a windshield. if you set up-right with your feet directly under your *** you can ride all day. with this said, consider getting a passenger peg kit and putting your feet on those. i use them almost exlusively on a stock nightster seat and bars. twice a month a ride 1200 mile weekends. i commute 50 miles per day to work.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have forwards on the N. I ride 6 or 7 hours all of the time and no windshield. Alot better than the mid controls. Even in the city. I am also thinking of a mustache bar, for longer trips and I believe there is room. I like to stretch out and be comfy.
but there is also some hiway pegs that mount directly to the frame and rotate 360 degreese.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen people use handle bars (i think iron bars). but it looks ugly

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Certainteed
if you set up-right with your feet directly under your *** you can ride all day.
With my feet where they are now, all day rides are extremely uncomfortable and leave my long legs cramped and sore the next day. We stop frequently and sometimes the stops are for an hour or longer. I can't believe that stretching my legs out without a windshield is going to somehow be uncomfortable. How so? I am not a small little wimpy kitten. I'm very tall and built. I can take it (the wind) like a man.

Ok, that really came out wrong but you get my drift.

midnight2005, where would you mount a mustache bar for the Nightster? Do you know of any brands that fit our bike?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i cant explain it in doctors terms but i rode a lot of different bikes and cruiser-style just wears me out at freeway speeds. and when flicking around the twisties i have a lot more confidence with my legs on the rear pegs (below my butt).

lots of adventure bikes use similar placement for the feet. those riders claim to do 16-hour rides. i believe it, because i get a lot more mileage with my feet on the rear pegs.

the mid-controls are just horrible. rear sets would have been so much better. leaning into the wind means not having to hold onto the bars.

but keep in mind that i routinely run 85-90mph all day long so my riding style is unique.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Tara, I have not researched it but it looks like enough room anywhere on the down tubes below the horn would work. I do not know of any brands but a universal set should work. I would check into those pegs that work without a mustache bar.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_highway_pegs.htm
here are some ideas

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a spare set of fwd control mounts, minus the controls. Toss on some pegs and you have fwd mounted highway pegs. I could probably get them set up perfect for ya, ship em out to ya.

You know what I'm talking about? They'd mount where the fwd's go, but there's nothing on them cept pegs. Drop me a PM.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Beaulaplante
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for the same thing and found this highway bar for $90 on ebay, including pegs

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...etail/IMID/563

I haven't put them on yet but I think it'll serve it's purpose well...

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
stretched-out riding is only good if you have a windshield. if you set up-right with your feet directly under your *** you can ride all day. with this said, consider getting a passenger peg kit and putting your feet on those. i use them almost exlusively on a stock nightster seat and bars. twice a month a ride 1200 mile weekends. i commute 50 miles per day to work.
QFT. When my feet are up on my forwards, I find myself leaning back almost too much and have to hang onto the grips with extreme prejudice. Since my seat (really, no Sportster seat) doesn't sit low or rearward enough, I'm using my pecs and shoulders to stop me from getting blown off the bike (all in highway or high wind circumstances). Gets very tiring after not too long.

Notice how sport bike riders are rotated forward with their feet almost behind their hips. At high speeds (or in wind) this is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Dreaming, I'm sure... but mustache bar for a Nightster?