Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grips...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
PHAT A$$
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grips...

I have these grips they came on the bike when I got it and they are worn out. You can't see the HD logo or the "ribs" (for her pleasure) and they get this sticky crap all over my hands. Times are tight... is there a way to fix them? no matter how long I rub on them the "gunk" never comes off.

If I can't correct it I HAVE to buy new grips. I don't want to get the same ones and think I have my mind set on these PM grips.

Anybody know of any other options besides PM and Roland Sands for this style grip? Assuming these are metal of some type will the vibration be worse? Will the grip part of these wear out just the same? Sorry for the long post but, I've been mullin' this over for awhile and had a few.

Thanks Everyone,
Jason

Last edited by PHAT A$$; 08-31-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

My stock grips had the black gunk thing too, I think it is just what happens with time. As far as other grip choices go, Avon makes a grip that looks identical to the PM one you posted for about 1/2 the cost (although I am sure that the quality is about 1/2 as well). And as for metal grips being more of a vibration issue...I have metal grips on my scoot, the HD black diamonds, I also had concerns about comfort and vibration with these, a reason they sat on my workbench for months, but i like em. I don't think that their are excessive vibratons, and the BDiamonds are straight metal (my bike is also a soild mount).

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
PHAT A$$
Tourer

Thanks Krakanator!

I'll check out the Avon's before I purchase.

Later,
J

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I just put these on mine, they are diamond cut aluminum with rubber ribs on each end, they look very sporty (like carbon fiber) and give no more vibration than the original equipment rubber ones.
This is from the Canadian site but I'm sure the US dealers have them too.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA

Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

phat a$$, like Krakanator said, Avon makes identical ones. With that said, if you put both grips in your palms to compare, you would see why the renthal on the PM grips is second to none. I've used them on dirt bikes as far as I can remember and I currently have them on my nightster. I never wear gloves and I always have a good grip on the renthal. If you want to save scratch, get the Avons as they will do the job just fine. If you want a better grip, get the PM's. You can find them brand new on ebay for around $80.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
PHAT A$$
Tourer

Originally Posted by papadop88
phat a$$, like Krakanator said, Avon makes identical ones. With that said, if you put both grips in your palms to compare, you would see why the renthal on the PM grips is second to none. I've used them on dirt bikes as far as I can remember and I currently have them on my nightster. I never wear gloves and I always have a good grip on the renthal. If you want to save scratch, get the Avons as they will do the job just fine. If you want a better grip, get the PM's. You can find them brand new on ebay for around $80.
Thanks Papadop,

I'm gonna look at the Avon's but, from the suggestions I'm still leaning toward the PM's I think... The RS's version also look good.

Is it hard at all to change them??? I'm a lil skert of the throttle side but, thinking if I could manage to get the carb on and off to jet it I should be able to handle it.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by PHAT A$$
Thanks Papadop,

Is it hard at all to change them??? I'm a lil skert of the throttle side but, thinking if I could manage to get the carb on and off to jet it I should be able to handle it.

Thanks,
Jason
It's really no problem changing them, took me about 20 minutes. Just remove the screws on the grip housings and seperate the two clam shell halves, replace the grips and put it back together.
Three things to watch out for:
1- The throttle cables have a small brass cable retainer on both cables, remember how they were installed before taking them out, and beware they do try to jump out on there own while taking it apart.
2- If your cables or wires are too short to comfortably slide the throttle off the end of the bars, don't yank on it, much better to loosen or remove the bar clamps and slide the bars over to the left side then slide the throttle off.
3- Don't worry if the throttle doesn't work smoothly untill you have completly reinstalled the clam shell housing and tightend it up, for some reason the cables seem to bind untill it's all reinstalled and tightend up.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same grips... and use vinylex or 303 on them as a preservative.
soak the rubber part in the product. then do it again. let it dry completey and wipe off all excess. check to make sure that they are not slippery before ridinng.
this should help- at least worth the cost of a good rubber/ vinyl preservative.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Avon's on my bike. Never had any complaints