Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BackOff module for tail light

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BackOff module for tail light

I'm going to install something to flash the tail light when I brake so I did a search on this site and came up with two options.

One is a factory HD solution that involves putting red lenses on the rear turn signals.
I don't particularly care for that and don't know if it's cool in AZ.
68286-04
Fits 04-later XL models.

The other is a generic module that does exactly what I want but I'm not sure how it might screw with my warrantee.
BackOff Module

Has anyone put in the BackOff on their 04-later Sportster?

There's a headlight modulator on that page too.........

Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: BackOff module for tail light

Thats the easiest way is the one from HD turns your turn signals into brake lights . Just plug it into your wire harness and in my case I went to clear turn signal lenses and got some good red bulbs that don`t fade in the Arizona sun . I think the other one " back off " you need to splice into the wires. I hope that helps alittle , Steve from Scottsdale.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that people pay a lot of attention to bike turn signals in the first place, but do you have a problem with people not noticing the signals?

I usually try to be in a position so that it doesn't matter if they see (or heed) my signals and they can't cut me off before I move.

I'm a little worried that people will be less likely to notice red signals but the HD solution seems best.
I don't have a problem splicing wires but plug and play seems like a better solution.

Clear lenses and red bulbs sound like the ticket in any case.

Do you have the details on the red bulbs or is that something I can get on the HD site?

Thanks for the great info so far!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:30 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_E_D

Not that people pay a lot of attention to bike turn signals in the first place, but do you have a problem with people not noticing the signals?

I usually try to be in a position so that it doesn't matter if they see (or heed) my signals and they can't cut me off before I move.

I'm a little worried that people will be less likely to notice red signals but the HD solution seems best.
I don't have a problem splicing wires but plug and play seems like a better solution.

Clear lenses and red bulbs sound like the ticket in any case.

Do you have the details on the red bulbs or is that something I can get on the HD site?

Thanks for the great info so far!
To tell you the truth I`ve had them on for about 2yrs now and so far no problem, plus I`m always checking around and in the mirrors for any a$$ holes in cages. I went to a tuner shop and got the bulbs they were around 7 bucks a piece. but no fade to pink and they look like Led at night. You can also check jpcycles.com or the dealer . Let me know how you make out !

Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got both on my bike. I wired the back off module to the HD module so my brake light functions as normal, but the turnsignals function as brake lights, and pulse to get people's attention. It'll really grab and hold your attention.