Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bomber Nose Art

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 AM
martinez_nc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomber Nose Art

I'm getting my old tins painted and I'm going with WW II look. I'm trying to decide if I'm doing the Flying Tigers nose art or going with a Pin Up Girl. If I go with the pin up girl idea, anybody know where I could get some quality stickers? I've googled for about an hour, got some results, but nothing has really "popped" at me. Got any idea's?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, the Flying Tigers look seems to be everywhere. I even saw it on a chopped in-line 4 the other day. All original Bomber nose art was panted on by hand. My suggestion to you is to ask around for a good painter and tell the painter what you want to do and show the painter some of the kind of nose art that you have been looking at and see if the painter can give you some different designs or have the painter come up with an idea of their own that you can use. That way you will end up with an original piece of art on your bike and not a sticker that anyone else can put on their bike right after they see it on your bike. Also, some friendly advise. Whatever you end up doing, DO NOT USE YOUR SIGNIFIGENT OTHER as the model for your nose art, no matter what they say. Women can come and go but you will have to look at the paint on your tank for some time to come. Think about it! Besides, you can be much more creative with fantasy images than in real life, you know what I mean? (Think Jessica Rabbit) HA! Good luck with your project and ride safe!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Try Googling Rockabilly Pin UPs

Usually pretty good stuff

Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 AM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

I was looking into a pin-up girl / WWII theme for my bike as well. Scraped the idea after seeing to much of it. If you still want to do it try Porkys Truck Stop http://www.porkystruckstop.com/INDEX.htm
The dacals can be sized alittle bigger if needed and can come in right/left applications. The down fall is they are water slide decals and would need to be clear coated over, which IMO would look better then peel and stick.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 AM
martinez_nc
Advanced

Thanks for the link tumbleweed, I'll check it out. The only time I've seen a WWII/Pin Up theme is on the internet, never seen one with my own eyes. Also I'm in the military so it kind of has an extra thing to me. It's a little late to change my idea since my tank is already painted, so looks like I'm stuck, haha. I was planning on clear coating over the decal but what's the difference between water slide and vinyl decals?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

Originally Posted by martinez_nc
...what's the difference between water slide and vinyl decals?
Vinyl could be your basic peel and stick (bumper sticker type) or it could be a high quality type where you peel off a backing, apply the decal then peel off a front application "film".
Water slide are the type the you trim as close as you can to the image then soak it in water. Once the edges start to curl you slide the decal off the paper onto the surface you want then let it dry. Ever build a model car or plane? Same thing. Water slides are good because they're so thin, once they're clear coated it is very hard to tell that it's a decal. But THEY MUST BE CLEAR COATED or you wont have a decal for very long.

Last edited by tumbleweed883; 11-02-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know why you would want to mess up that badass paint set. I love that scheme.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very surprised to hear many of you say the bomber theme is common, i have only seen it(in person)on 1 bike and it is mine...i absolutely LOVE it, it has the hand painted feel too, up close-the lines arent sharp etc...Definitely is a head turner

Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I haven't seen it in person either. Besides, nothing is new on bikes anymore.....it's all been done. That being said, I agree whole heartedly with XLCR about getting a painter, at least then no one else will have the exact same design, just like a tattoo you wouldn't go get a piece of flash art (least I should hope not) done on your skin, you want a one off piece.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
martinez_nc
Advanced

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
I don't know why you would want to mess up that badass paint set. I love that scheme.
Don't worry, I have my old tins to experiment with. There's just something about the orange that makes me want to keep it around.

Quick Reply: Bomber Nose Art