Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glazed front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glazed front brakes

Ok, let's just say that someone (cough cough) had front brake pads replaced, and that then someone (cough cough) used them too lightly for the first about 1000 miles, and now someone's (cough cough) front brake squeaks pretty good.......how might that someone go about knocking off that glaze on the front brake pads?

Been getting up to about 30, then hitting them hard like a panic stop, but that glaze seems pretty stubborn.....keep doing this? Go faster and try a panic style stop? Other options?

Thanks, someone (cough cough) appreciates any ideas....

Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
fastkevin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The proper way to bead-in new brake pads is while you're riding, pull the lever in occasionally, and let it off. You're gradually introducing the pad material to the rotor.
What you don't do, is run around doing a bunch of panic stops. That's the best way to glaze 'em(burning the top coat, and thereby sealing them up).
If you truly believe you've glazed them, the best thing to do is replace the pads, and bead-blast your rotors.
I've heard all kinds of "remedies' people have come up with over the years, that they say works just as good, but in reality it doesn't. You need to get the glazed material off your rotors, and you need to call the pads dead. You could take off the top layer of pad material, but you could have cooked it deep into it's base. You're talking about your brakes here, so riding around with them working at only 60 or 70% of their capability isn't the smartest thing to do.
If OTOH, the only evidence you have that they're glazed is that they're squeaking, I would tend to disagree with that finding. Certain pads just squeak. Damn near all "race" pads do, and some just vibrate inside the caliper. Heck..my brand-new XR's front brakes squeak occasionally.
If your pads are truly glazed, your braking performance will be noticeably reduced. If it's a bike you know well, you'll notice it's taking longer to slow or stop while using the same amount of lever pressure you've always used. If this is the case, I'd suggest getting new pads and getting your rotors blasted.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Thanks fastkevin- aside from the noise, they work 100% better than the old pads, and have just gotten better. I'll wash, use some brakekleen, and hope it goes away eventually. Actually the Indy close by said they hear nothing out of the ordinary, so it's just an annoying brake squeak.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
fastkevin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
Thanks fastkevin- aside from the noise, they work 100% better than the old pads, and have just gotten better. I'll wash, use some brakekleen, and hope it goes away eventually. Actually the Indy close by said they hear nothing out of the ordinary, so it's just an annoying brake squeak.
So they're aftermarket pads? What brand/model?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Originally Posted by fastkevin
So they're aftermarket pads? What brand/model?
Drag Specialties pads.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Next time get a set of Lyndall "Z-Plus" or "Gold" pads. Better braking, no brake dust, little if any brake squealing, and they last MUCH longer. I've got 34,000 miles on mine and still plenty of pad left.