Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, i need help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, i need help...

So I decided to go for a ride today because it's the first time we have had decent weather in Tallahassee in over a month. I went to pull out going right on red and my bike just died. I didn't think anything of it, just flipped the switch off and back on, heard the injectors re-prime, and pulled out, but i noticed that little yellow light, (that i assume is for the injectors, because it always comes on until right after you hear the injectors prime themselves) was on. Trying to rationalize this problem, i remembered i was close to 5000 miles, and I checked, sure enough, 5,003 miles. So i figured maybe it was just to remind me of my 5k service. Cool whatever, we ride another 30 or so miles away from home, and The bike dies again, this time at 85 mph. I grab the clutch and coast to a stop,m my buddies swing it back around to join me. Now my injectors will no prime, the bike will try to start, but is apparently getting no fuel. I guess it's obvious at this point it's a problem with the FI, but has anyone else run into this/have a possible diagnoses? I would think this has to be covered under my warranty, but I'm not really sure. Any help would be great.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

Bump...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

You could check the FI pump fuse.
Make sure the quick connect for the fuel line is securely connected.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a issue just like that but i had to turn the ignition off and on and it work after that. No problems since. I think i'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see the outcome.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well check with soup on this forum, he had some serious issues with this i think. also, i'm not injected but i was recently havin a problem with my scoot just shuting off for no reason and alot a ppl have been teling me its the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) i have yet to change mine (becasue my bike is down anyway so i'm not in a hurry but that also might be an issue, however with 5k that seems odd and with yr injector issue????? that might not add up either....just tryin to throw out ideas

Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you didnt hear the injectors, you heard the fuel pump. you have an electrical problem. Possibly the fuel pump. Check the fuse box for corroded connections and such. it is inside the battery box.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Check for stored Diagnostic Codes. See the Helpful DIY thread at the top of this section.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 AM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

Thanks guys, I'm gonna pul the battery cover off tomorrow and check the fuses. How does one check the diagnostic codes on the bike? Does it have an OBD2 hookup somewhere?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCarney
Thanks guys, I'm gonna pul the battery cover off tomorrow and check the fuses. How does one check the diagnostic codes on the bike? Does it have an OBD2 hookup somewhere?
Like I said above, See the Helpful DIY thread at the top of this section.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtMic
You could check the FI pump fuse.
Make sure the quick connect for the fuel line is securely connected.
If that's blown, the bike wouldn't start.
It's possible you had some small debris in your tank, and it got stuck in the fuel pump's pick-up. Did you happen to run out of fuel recently, or run your tank really low?
This will tend to stir up crap in the bottom of it..
IIRC, you wrote that the problem fixed itself, and you haven't seen it recently.
I get the impression that this was your first ride on the thing in a while. It only doing it initially, and then magically clearing itself out makes me believe that debris in the tank may have been the cause.
Sure there's more dramatic possibilities as well, but I always try to stick with the "K.I.S.S." method before I start ripping into things, and usually the problem was indeed something minor.
Not always, but usually...

Quick Reply: Ok, i need help...