Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from the factory...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Question from the factory...

im looking to pick up an aftermarket speedo, and i being new to harleys, was wondering what indicator lights my bike is set up for (i.e. oil, turn, high beam, etc) i really like those speedos with the small LED indicators built right in to the face. would that be a plug and play application, or would there be some customizing to be done. also, how do i know what ratio speedo i need for my bike? ive seen a few different ratios on speedos out there.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
K0NPHL1C7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I just finished installing my new speedo, I love it! I can tell you of my experience.

My bike is an 86 XLH1100. The stock speedo/tach was pretty basic, and included an Oil, Turn Signal, High Beam and Neutral indicator lights, mounted into the bracket.

I purchased a white-faced 2:1 Ratio speedo, with all 4 indicator LEDs right in the face as you describe.

The speedo has a fairly easy to install mount, it is like a universal bracket with rubber mount, goes right on the handlebar. As for the wiring, it wasn't difficult, but not plug-and play. I did have to cut the indicator light wires and splice them. You can find a wiring harness diagram right online, and splice the wires accordingly.

One thing I will mention though, besides the fact that I LOVE the new speedo, is that even when wired correctly, my "turn signal" indicator ONLY works on one side. In other words, it only flashes when my right turn signal is on, not the left. Weird....

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was lookin for. what brand of speedo did you get? was an ebay deal or did you go right to the dealership? as for the turn signal indicator, i would have to assume its because only 1 turn wire is wired to the indicator. i dont know how that would work with wiring them in so it works with both signals. maybe someone with a little more electrical expertise can chime in here.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
K0NPHL1C7
Intermediate

Ya I posted a thread on here, but noone answered, lol. I mean it was fairly simple to wire up really, and I don't see how it could have messed up, but I guess I did. Oh well, dens da breaks.

I got it from my mechanic (Sharkey at V-Shop, www.v-shop.us), who ordered it from V-Twin. It is Model 39-0556.

Oh one of ther thing, it comes with a new Speedo cable, wich isn't all that long. I had no problem mounting it, but depending on your risers you might.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sixshooter
thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was lookin for. what brand of speedo did you get? was an ebay deal or did you go right to the dealership? as for the turn signal indicator, i would have to assume its because only 1 turn wire is wired to the indicator. i dont know how that would work with wiring them in so it works with both signals. maybe someone with a little more electrical expertise can chime in here.
The way I see your indicator only blinking on the right side, I'm taking it that you only have one indicator light for both right and left sigs. If that is the case you will need two diodes. That is a "check valve" for electric current. Take a wire from both sigs, you already have one for the right and put a diode on the end of each wire, hook them together and run one wire from those to the indictor light. Done. The diodes are very small and you will have to ask the person in Radio shack which way the current flows and which way it is blocked. Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1200efi
If that is the case you will need two diodes. That is a "check valve" for electric current. Take a wire from both sigs, you already have one for the right and put a diode on the end of each wire, hook them together and run one wire from those to the indictor light. Done. The diodes are very small and you will have to ask the person in Radio shack which way the current flows and which way it is blocked. Hope this helps. Ride safe.
now thats some helpful info :-) im not a big electrical person, but i figured there was some kind of "check valve" to put in so electrical current couldnt back feed into the other sig from the one thats runnin the indicator.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Caution to the OP: You don't list the year of your bike. The speedo's on later model bikes are all digitally driven and are not compatible with earlier models such as the 86 posted above.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by sixshooter
now thats some helpful info :-) im not a big electrical person, but i figured there was some kind of "check valve" to put in so electrical current couldnt back feed into the other sig from the one thats runnin the indicator.
Diodes will have a "band" at one end of the casing. Applying a positive voltage to the banded end will allow flow to the other end. A positive voltage applied to the non-banded end will be blocked.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 PM
K0NPHL1C7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1200efi
The way I see your indicator only blinking on the right side, I'm taking it that you only have one indicator light for both right and left sigs. If that is the case you will need two diodes. That is a "check valve" for electric current. Take a wire from both sigs, you already have one for the right and put a diode on the end of each wire, hook them together and run one wire from those to the indictor light. Done. The diodes are very small and you will have to ask the person in Radio shack which way the current flows and which way it is blocked. Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Yes I have only 1 indicator light for both sides. See the thing that confused me, is when I removed the original indicator light, there were no diodes at all.

Either way, I don't need the dummy light anyway, I guess I might get around to messing with it over the winter, but until then whateva. Thanks for the help!

And yes I forgot to mention to the OP that my Speedo is mechanicly driven, not digital, thanks for clearing it up

Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

sorry bout that, my sporty is a 1990, and the speedo is mechanically driven. i ordered one from vtwin performance, should be here next week sometime.

Quick Reply: from the factory...