Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS System on Bike Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 AM
3737pisces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS System on Bike Yes? No?

Who would put this on their Bike? Isn't it enough they know where One is by Toll Roads etc..Reasons For? & Reasons No?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 AM
blippo
Tourer

I have a Garmin 550 Zuma on my other bike. It came in handy a lot of times.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of getting one. but I don't want that ugly mount on my handle bars. I might Velcro it on under the spedo or just put it in my pocket with an earphone to tell me when to turn.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

1. Can't wear earphones on a bike In Rhode Island.
2. The time it takes to look at the little screen, in the sun, wearing shades, is twice as long as it takes for a Suburban to cream your ***.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a TomTom Rider 2 that comes with a bluetooth headset. Works great. I use the GPS whenever I am going on a trip where I would normally need a map. The GPS is easier to read than a map in a tank bag. It also knows where the nearest gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant are. Its a tool, not a decoration on the bike so when I need to use it I don't really care what it looks like I just care about what it does.

With regard to the original post. Who are they and what do they know?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my buddy has a garmin zuma and it's awesome. we did about 475 mis. this weekend in two days up in the pocono mtns. in pennsy. the feeling of not worrying about where your going or getting lost is great, just ride baby!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger_rider
I use the GPS whenever I am going on a trip where I would normally need a map. The GPS is easier to read than a map in a tank bag. It also knows where the nearest gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant are. Its a tool, not a decoration on the bike so when I need to use it I don't really care what it looks like I just care about what it does.
+1 - I've probably found and ridden hundreds of roads in the middle of nowhere that I wouldn't have without my GPS. There are may great unmarked roads and intersections in rural places across the country and it's not unusual for some of these roads to have several different names. Figuring them out with a paper map at 55 mph when you're not even sure where you are on that map doesn't work very well.

If used properly, a GPS can be a great tool for finding new adventures.

When it comes to comments regarding earphones, check your local state laws. All the states I am aware of permit a single ear device.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-17-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 - I've probably found and ridden hundreds of roads in the middle of nowhere that I wouldn't have without my GPS. There are may great unmarked roads and intersections in rural places across the country and it's not unusual for some of these roads to have several different names. Figuring them out with a paper map at 55 mph when you're not even sure where you are on that map doesn't work very well.

If used properly, a GPS can be a great tool for finding new adventures.
Part of the adventure of riding is discovering new roads and places BECAUSE YOU ARE LOST! GPS is a great tool (I guess) if you only want to get from point A to point B. They're probably especially nice when fuel is running low, although I'll never have one. Of course, I still use a lensatic compass and a topographical map when I hunt. . . . .

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
WVleo
Road Master
Default Gps

Not being " Born & Raised " in Wv , this GPS gives Me a bearing to find My direction anywhere I ride. Next one I get will be hard wired to the bike as this one is battery operated . The bar set up isn't bad tho....WVleo

Attached Thumbnails GPS System on Bike Yes? No?-picture-012.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the Garmin 550 Zumo also.

It's saved a lot of time and frustration on multi-state trips. Not perfect, but certainly useful for many routine issues - and it really comes into play when you suddenly have problems or weather emergencies etc.

YMMV...

Quick Reply: GPS System on Bike Yes? No?