Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS System on Bike Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

One thing you might want to keep in mind when shopping for a GPS is it's ability to store pre-planned routes. Most of the less expensive units do not have this feature. You can usually find this in the units specification list by looking for an item in the feature list called ROUTES. If it says ROUTES=0, it does not have this feature. Those units that do have it will say something like ROUTES=10 or 50. The number indicates the quantity of pre-planned routes the unit can store.

Routes gives you the ability to plan a trip ahead of time using the roads you select. A unit without Route capability typically only allows you the option of selecting either the "fastest" or "shortest" distance between 2 points.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a TomTom Rider 2 and I like it a lot. It is made specifically for motorcycles so it's fully waterproof and comes complete with a good quality Cardo Scala bluetooth headset.

The software is excellent with every option you need including pre-planned routes which you can store. It will also calculate different routes including the fastest or shortest. It will even do cycling and walking routes. If you miss a turn it will very quickly re calculate the best route from where you are. It really is very good.

It comes complete with a charger, high quality Ram Mounts and everything you need to fit it to the bike. Installation is fast and simple.

The headset fits onto the helmet and has a thin speaker which sits in the helmet next to your ear. It also has a microphone.

It has no internal speaker but you can buy a separate car mount with a speaker in it so you can use it in your car.

The headset gives clear instructions as you ride along. It will connect to your cell phone so you can take incoming calls. It rings, you tap the screen and start talking. It really is good. As a safety feature you cannot make outgoing calls when the bike is moving.

You can buy an expansion pack for the Scala that allows you to talk to the passenger or even talk bike to bike. Obviously, the passenger and rider of the other bike also need Scala headsets.

The internal battery lasts about 7 hours but they supply a cable that allows you to wire the mount it to the bike so that it charges as you ride.

The mapping is excellent and easy to use. It has speed camera warnings and it will tell you the speed limit on the road you are using. For instance 25/30 means that you are doing 25mph in a 30 zone.

I use mine when I'm touring, especially in continental Europe where they drive on the wrong side of the road. I visited a friend in Holland recently and it took me down through England, up through France and Belgium, into Holland and right to his front door without a hitch.

I find the POIs useful when touring and I've used them to find camp sites, fuel, cash dispensers and many other places.

I don't fit mine all the time but it makes touring more enjoyable as it does the navigating for you. It allows you to concentrate on enjoying the ride and watch out for other traffic. I always take a good road map as a back up but I rarely use it.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 08-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 PM
slolane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use GPS after I'm lost to find my way back home. Bought a refurb TomTom and it works great on the bike, in the Jeep and my DD Outback. I will never buy another car with built in GPS again, too much $$$

Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The in-dash GPS I have in my car tells me where traffic problems are, the price of gas, movie show times, and weather forecasts for wherever I am or wherever I am going. It also has doppler radar images of where it is raining, a feature that I think would be really good for a bike.

I got the TomTom Rider 2 for the bike from MegaGPS.com. Its cheaper than the Garmin bike systems and is less than $400 now and comes with the bluetooth headset. The Garmins dont come with the headset.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Blackberry + (free)Google Maps, FTW..!!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
Blackberry + (free)Google Maps, FTW..!!
Unless you have Verizon and they lock your GPS...

Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
cycletrash98
Cruiser

I stick mine right on my tack on my ultra

Old 09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i use the same gps on my bike as i do in my car. using this cig lighter attachment i found on this forum search

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ket-cables/319

Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

I use the same power setup. I got a mount from rammounts.com and it works perfectly. Cost me all of $70 to use my existing GPS. I have used it on 2 8 hour trips and a couple 4 hour trips and love it. It rained once and I simply pulled it off and tossed it in my pocket. Far more cost effective for me currently.

Maybe for my next bike I'll look at the garmin if the price comes down. Its hard to beat the garmin quality imo.

MH

Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MechsHands
I use the same power setup. I got a mount from rammounts.com and it works perfectly. Cost me all of $70 to use my existing GPS. I have used it on 2 8 hour trips and a couple 4 hour trips and love it. It rained once and I simply pulled it off and tossed it in my pocket. Far more cost effective for me currently.

Maybe for my next bike I'll look at the garmin if the price comes down. Its hard to beat the garmin quality imo.

MH
FYI, if you keep a 1 quart zip-lock bag handy, you can just slide it over the GPS when it rains. The ones that have the zipper tab work easier than the ones that you have to press the seal together.

Quick Reply: GPS System on Bike Yes? No?