Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check out my new sweet points cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire4Effect
I'll have to look for that at Biketoberfest.
cool man, sounds good to me

Originally Posted by midnight2005
sweet Oldskool, how is the bike running? did you figure out that problem with it dieing on you? I couldent find the thread.

bike isn't running i suck and have to get a new primary

i haven't figured out the diein thing yet, but i'm almost positive its the CPS so as soon as i make sure all the battery connections are good and get 50 bucks i'm gonna go get that thing

Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a way to test the cps, if ya got an ohm meter.
Magnetic crank position sensors produce an alternating current when the engine is cranked so a voltage output check is another test that can be performed. With the sensor connected, read the output voltage across the appropriate module terminals while cranking the engine. If you see at least 20 mV on the AC scale, the sensor is good, meaning the fault is probably in the module. If the output voltage is low, remove the sensor and inspect the end of it for rust or debris (magnetic sensors will attract iron and steel particles). Clean the sensor, reinstall it and test again. Make sure it has the proper air gap (if adjustable) because the spacing between the end of the sensor and the reluctor wheel or notches in the crankshaft will affect sensor output voltage. If the air gap is correct and output is still low, replace the sensor.
Hall effect crankshaft position sensors typically have three terminals; one for current feed, one for ground and one for the output signal. The sensor must have voltage and ground to produce a signal, so check these terminals first with an analog voltmeter. Sensor output can be checked by unplugging the DIS module and cranking the engine to see if the sensor produces a voltage signal. The voltmeter needle should jump each time a shutter blade passes through the Hall effect switch. If observed on an oscilloscope, you should see a square waveform. No signal would tell you the sensor has failed.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/dis.htm

This has to do with cars, but I am sure the cps on bikes are the same.
Hope that helps

Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

cool thanks man, i don't have a speedo though sooooooo

There is a way to test the cps, if ya got an ohm meter.
Magnetic crank position sensors produce an alternating current when the engine is cranked so a voltage output check is another test that can be performed. With the sensor connected, read the output voltage across the appropriate module terminals while cranking the engine. If you see at least 20 mV on the AC scale, the sensor is good, meaning the fault is probably in the module. If the output voltage is low, remove the sensor and inspect the end of it for rust or debris (magnetic sensors will attract iron and steel particles). Clean the sensor, reinstall it and test again. Make sure it has the proper air gap (if adjustable) because the spacing between the end of the sensor and the reluctor wheel or notches in the crankshaft will affect sensor output voltage. If the air gap is correct and output is still low, replace the sensor.
Hall effect crankshaft position sensors typically have three terminals; one for current feed, one for ground and one for the output signal. The sensor must have voltage and ground to produce a signal, so check these terminals first with an analog voltmeter. Sensor output can be checked by unplugging the DIS module and cranking the engine to see if the sensor produces a voltage signal. The voltmeter needle should jump each time a shutter blade passes through the Hall effect switch. If observed on an oscilloscope, you should see a square waveform. No signal would tell you the sensor has failed.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/dis.htm

This has to do with cars, but I am sure the cps on bikes are the same.
Hope that helps

Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 PM
midnight2005
Banned

dont need a speedo, need an ohm meter, you can buy at radio shack for about 10 bucks

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, love the timing cover very cool!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Sharp!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very cool oldskool. do they come in black?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

dont need a speedo, need an ohm meter, you can buy at radio shack for about 10 bucks
oops, i guess i misread that very cool, thanks man

Originally Posted by bmxatv
very cool oldskool. do they come in black?

they do! in fact that is what they mainly advertise and i had to ask for one that was not

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
midnight2005
Banned

Ok, I have to ask. What is the points cover? The side of the tranny? (right side) Where the "5" is on the N? I am guessing that is the points cover on the older bikes

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
The grannies at bingo night are going to frown over that one.
You ride your bike to Bingo night? Dude!!!!

Quick Reply: check out my new sweet points cover