Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn't even kiss me first

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Somebody post up the Cliff notes.

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:13 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I read part of your story and I think I comprehended most of it. When the bike was on the dyno, I wonder if they saved the file.

That may have some clues as to the problem. Were there any codes stored in the ECM after the last time you rode it?

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:13 PM
3737pisces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike

Hi Soup! V. from Australia. They were the people that did the work on the bike weren't they! Do you have all receipts?.... I think mabee go see a Lawyer with this matter..That will sort them Out! as they do not wan't the Publicity re Work recommended,done etc..Looks like thats the only Option Now! ..Lawyer!!! Best Wishes!

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:14 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soup-- is your state's Lemon Law applicable to motorcycles? I would almost be tempted to haul the bike to MoCo HQ, lock it up outside just off their premises so it isn't subject to being towed, then place a 4x8 sheet of plywood sign in front of it for all to see: "HD-- Fix My Bike!!" or "CASH FOR CLUNKER??" Take a few pictures of your display, and put 'em on the various HD boards...

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:18 PM
3737pisces
Cruiser
Default Bike

Originally Posted by soup7562
With-out going into a lot of detail, and what if's. MoCo had decided that not only are they NOT going to replace my engine, they have voided my warranty for this and any future problems I may have with my bike. Reason........... Basanni Pipes, and SERT!! Even though they have authorized at least three previous repairs on Medusa they have decided they are done with her. I am now on the hook for a brand new engine ( provided I can some how find the $3500.00 it's gonna cost me to replace) So, as of now I am the proud owner of a $15,000.00 bird feeder. I honestly do not know which direction I am gonna go with this. I still have the dealer loaner but I'm sure they are getting ready to pull the plug on that. To say that there is tension in my house would be the understatement of the year. I waited 14 years to buy this bike! That is how long it was between Medusa, and my previous Sportster. Dealer recommended and installed parts don't mean squat, and customer loyalty is a joke. I have ridden Harley's ( all sportsters ) my entire life, and have never had any problems with any of them until now. Some hard decisions are on the horizon. Thanks for everyone's support during this debacle. Regardless of the outcome, Harley has lost a customer. Not that they are overly concerned.

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:46 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune. My buddy got the SERT for his bike and noticed the box said not for street use. I asked the dealers shop manager if installing the item in his bike would void the manufacturers warranty on the motor if something were to happen to it. He said if it was determined that the sert caused the problem then yes it would, he did say however that their shop would fix the problem.

I asked him, what the heck happens if he breaks down in lets say Reno. he said they would call that shop and take care of the problem.

Old 08-15-2009 | 11:07 PM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's that's old saying........ 95% of problems are electrical and the other 5% is mechanical. With FI problems alot of mechanic's can't even troubleshoot a problem, it's beyond their scope and they just R/R parts until they figure it out if ever. So much for knowing the theory of operation.

If the dealer thought it was an oil problem I hope they checked for oil pressure, plugged line's, oil filter, cam case gasket and oil tank blockage.

If it was mine I'd go for a NHRS 1250 kit, 536 cams, Twin Tech ignition and a Buell oil pump then rip all the FI stuff off and go with a 42 HSR carb. That should fix the problem

Good Luck, hope things turn out for the better.

Old 08-16-2009 | 12:31 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:10 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Being the owner of a Motorcycle dealer(not HD), I can say the dealer itself is about 90% repsonsible for what gets covered and what doesn't. I don't know how you feel about your dealer, but they're the reason you got screwed.
Might want to let everyone else know about it..
Also-isn't a "SERT" a HD part?
Furthermore, you're not out of options yet. Google "Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act". It's a federal law that governs warranties. In a nutshell it places the burden on the dealer/manufacturer to PROVE the mods you did are the reason for the breakdown.
In reality, this is the way it should be, and nobody should have a problem with it. If YOU did a mod to your bike that screwed it up, you should be responsible for it. If you didn't you shouldn't be.

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:18 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

infuriating soup....i'm so sorry man, i honestly can't blame you for HD loosing a customer, can't say i wouldn't do the same exact thing.

if you haven't (which i'm sure you probley have), get ahold of a good lawyer, they instaled everything....that shop sounds like it should be shot.

I'm only sayin get a lawyer so you can either re-coup your $$ or get enough to fix it for real and ride it...bottom line is ride time.

O and last thing.....beat the **** outta that rental really sorry about the whole smash

Quick Reply: Didn't even kiss me first