Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do Sportster Owners Think of the SB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
rob91326
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and liked the 6th gear and felt comfortable when I rode it. I didn't have any problems handling it. I liked the mini apes that came with it too. Unfortunately insurance goes up abit because of the bigger bike. If you feel you're ready for it, go for it! I sold it and went with another sportster because my job situation isn't so good. My dealer called me to trade my sportster for a bob but not ready right now financially to do it. Otherwise I'd jump at it.

Last edited by rob91326; 08-15-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM
slolane
Advanced

I really like the Street Bob, I usually like black but that blue they have is great looking!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been looking at both a Street Bob (lightly used 09) and a 06 Sportster 1200R. I've been riding for roughly 40 years and have had all kinds of bikes over that time. I recently sold a Nightster, just couldn't get comfortable on it regardless of the changes I made to the seat, bars & foot controls.

On the SB I liked the motor, 6th gear and the look. What I didn't like was the comfort on the stock bike-I'd need to change out the handlebars (hate apes of any kind) & the seat, plus I felt that my legs were too crunched yet my legs are too short for the forwards. To me it felt a little lackluster in the power dept and just wasn't all that fun to ride, it did look great parked but that's not why I buy a bike.

I then hopped on the R, really enjoyed and came riding back onto the lot with a big grin. The sales guy commented on that fact to me before I even I was smiling so big. It was very comfortable, plenty of power and will be a lot easier to live with for my style of riding. I hope to be able to make a deal for it.

I've discovered that the only Dyna I really like is the Fat Bob and it's out of my budget for now & the foreseeable future (younger son just started college-ouch).

Just one old farts experiences, your mileage may vary .

Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Billie
Cruiser

I like it, if my 1200 custom wasn't paid for I'd take on the monthly payment and own one.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

been riding as a loaner, until Medusa is fixed. I LOVE IT

Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, no one has bothered to mention that the Street Bob as well as all Dynas have a couple of serious design flaws. Number 1 the rubber mounted engine which is attached to the swing arm and causes wobbly, unstable high speed cornering. And Number 2 they have less cornering clearance than a bagger. The main reason I wish I would have bought a Sportster is for what I have into my "mediocre" Dyna I could have had a really nice Sportster.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 930 Likes on 572 Posts

I think that they are a great bike. My son just rode his 06 from Chicago to the Arctic Circle and back on his with me for about 9,000 miles in 14 days. He had 10k on it when he left. Not one issue during the trip. He did replace the rear tire in Fairbanks. It wasn't to the wear bars at 15k but he wanted to be sure.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
You know, no one has bothered to mention that the Street Bob as well as all Dynas have a couple of serious design flaws. Number 1 the rubber mounted engine which is attached to the swing arm and causes wobbly, unstable high speed cornering. And Number 2 they have less cornering clearance than a bagger. The main reason I wish I would have bought a Sportster is for what I have into my "mediocre" Dyna I could have had a really nice Sportster.
I've been told by more than one person that the Dyna is the best handling HD "Big" bike.
FWIW- They also stated it's the reason why the Hell's Angles generally choose this model.
I've never ridden one, and personally know nothing about 'em.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the dealers to buy a Nightster. I had a test ride on one and loved it but then I did a test ride on a SB and liked riding it better. I ended up buying a Fat Bob. I've owned many bikes but this was my first Harley.

I rode my mate's new Sportster yesterday. I was a great bike to ride. Compared to my FB it felt light and responsive but was less comfortable and the torque came in higher.

Getting the right bike for you depends on many factors. What you can afford, the type of riding you do, where you ride it, how far you ride it, your size and shape, how you fit on it, your age (or the age you'd like to be), what your friends ride, how the bike looks etc etc.

For me, all those factors meant that I chose a FB and I made the right choice because I love it. My mate, a more experienced rider than me, chose a Sportster as the one that best suited him.

I don't think either is a better bike, they are just different.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Neognosis
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test roce both the iron 883 sportster, and a fat bob a few weeks ago. the fb was a bit more comfortable, and I liked how it handled, except the brakes seemes nearly nonexistant. But it was 2x the price of the Iron, and I decided it was not 2x BETTEr than the iron, so I got the iron.

Quick Reply: What do Sportster Owners Think of the SB?