Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do Sportster Owners Think of the SB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I am not quite the bar hopper guy but i do like to go in one to two hour rides. I live in the Houston area so I have to really get out of town to enjoy some peace and quiet on the roads. I typically ride for about 150 miles when I head out but I am planning on taking longer trips to Austin, San An, the Valley and other places in Texas. You can't really get out of Texas unless you drive or ride for more than 7 hours. (God Bless the Lone Star State).

However, this being my first bike is hard to determine what I really like, dont take me wrong, I like the Sporty but I would not mind having something more comfortable for longer rides.

I know the Street Bob is heavier but it has a bigger engine, how does she ride in regards to manuverability? I like the Sporty because I can take some nice twisties (in Houston that would be over and under passes that cross over the highway or riding around the International Airport ).

Keeping the Sporty and getting the Street Bob, is not an option, I can only afford one.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the motor on the Street Bob might be bigger but it does not have more power. A 1200 actually puts out a little more power than the TC96. The Street Bob is also a little bit heavier. So more weight + less power = SLOW! It might be a little harder to handle in twisties with those mini apes as apposed to a lower profile bar. But the dynas are very good bikes that handle very well when comparing them to the other BT families (excluding the VRSC family, the new muscle is supposed to be the best handling and most powerful bike Harley has ever made. It has a super low center of gravity that makes it really easy to lean to the max)

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the look of the street bob and I think its a great bike. I like all Dynas in general. I rode a fat bob right after I rode the street bob, and hands down, the fat bob outperformed it in the twisties.

I also like the fact that they blacked out the motor on the street bob again. The silver motor was just wack!

I would suggest you ride the street bob again and then try out the rest of the dynas and compare the feel. The more bikes you ride, the better understanding you'll get of which suits you better.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:40 AM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by papadop88
I really like the look of the street bob and I think its a great bike. I like all Dynas in general. I rode a fat bob right after I rode the street bob, and hands down, the fat bob outperformed it in the twisties.

I also like the fact that they blacked out the motor on the street bob again. The silver motor was just wack!

I would suggest you ride the street bob again and then try out the rest of the dynas and compare the feel. The more bikes you ride, the better understanding you'll get of which suits you better.
The fat bob is kind of like the road glide. They might look funny but the ride quality is hard to beat. I hear that the CVO fat bob is a beast with that 110ci motor!

I might also that if this bike is going to be for long distance rides where comfort is important. I would sacrifice looks a bit to be more comfortable. Thats the opposite with where I've gone with my N. But that still doesn't stop me from putting down 1500 miles over 4 days. The pic in my sig is about 1100 miles into that trip.

Last edited by fox4; 08-13-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: wanted to add one more thing
Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
packer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennr
i'd hav to agree with mreed... next to my 1200N, the Street bobs my nxt fave.
the sporty for me is a great bar hopper but for long hauls i prefer the bob

I am going to ditto this
I like the SB
toss for me on that or the Xbones
for the next bike
never let go of the sportster
thats a bike you never get tired of
you can change it and chop it in so many ways
just seems ridiculous to get rid of it.
when it can change with you

of course thats my perfect world
you will have to find your own

Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
harper764
Banned

Originally Posted by fox4
Well the motor on the Street Bob might be bigger but it does not have more power. A 1200 actually puts out a little more power than the TC96. The Street Bob is also a little bit heavier. So more weight + less power = SLOW!
dude......you need to get a clue. 74 ci (1200) puts out 79 fl lbs engine torque at 4000 rpm.....the 96 puts out 92 ft lbs at 3000 rpm (from the harley website).....that statement you just made is the classical argument from sportster riders that hate to admit they bought a small bike either for price, or just the size thing. i have owned both a bored and cam'd 1200, as well as a 1200 c with cams, jets, and everything else that goes with it....im here to tell you, the sportster can be made to run; but stock sporty to stock SB...the sporty is considered a girls bike by many for a reason

Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Iron-Horse
Advanced

I recently picked up a Street Bob which I love no more, nor less than my Nightster & am amazed how easy the bike is to handle, not to mention that the extra gear is a definite plus as well as how much more comfortable & stable it is on Highways & long distance trips (even without a windshield). Also, it does good on twisty mountain roads, but its obviously not a slalom bike.

What I would do if I were U, is to ride one couple of more times (maybe rent one for an entire day) to help w/ your decision.

U might regret getting rid of the 883, but I doubt you’ll regret getting an SB or anything bigger than a sporty.

Good luck w/ your decision.

Peace,

Iron-Horse

Last edited by Iron-Horse; 08-21-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

I saw one with drag bars on it, and initially thought it was a Sportster.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by harper764
dude......you need to get a clue. 74 ci (1200) puts out 79 fl lbs engine torque at 4000 rpm.....the 96 puts out 92 ft lbs at 3000 rpm (from the harley website).....that statement you just made is the classical argument from sportster riders that hate to admit they bought a small bike either for price, or just the size thing. i have owned both a bored and cam'd 1200, as well as a 1200 c with cams, jets, and everything else that goes with it....im here to tell you, the sportster can be made to run; but stock sporty to stock SB...the sporty is considered a girls bike by many for a reason
Torque has nothing to do with how fast the bike will go my friend. Torque is how hard something is getting turned and just gets the bike going and helps pull the vehicle out of turns. Horse power is how fast the engine can move the wheels. That is the one that gives you speed. The 1200 puts out more HP to the rear wheel than the TC. I race my dad on his big twin all the time and he alway gets demolished.

What you said is like saying that if a semi raced my Eagle Talon TSi that runs 30 psi of boost and has 400hp the semi would win because it has more torque. NOT!

You sir need to get a clue.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
harper764
Banned

Originally Posted by fox4
Torque has nothing to do with how fast the bike will go my friend. Torque is how hard something is getting turned and just gets the bike going and helps pull the vehicle out of turns. Horse power is how fast the engine can move the wheels. That is the one that gives you speed. The 1200 puts out more HP to the rear wheel than the TC. I race my dad on his big twin all the time and he alway gets demolished.

What you said is like saying that if a semi raced my Eagle Talon TSi that runs 30 psi of boost and has 400hp the semi would win because it has more torque. NOT!

You sir need to get a clue.
ok jackass.....ive owned an 02 883 that i cam'd with andrews n4, jet'd the carb, punched it to 1200 and it ran pretty quick. would wax my buddy's road king, but with that much done to it, its to be expected. i also owned an 04 1200 with the same done to it, and now i own a street bob....that im telling you hands down has more *****. sorry to burst your bubble, and im not just a guy dumping on the sportster cause i moved up....im being honest about the performance of the bikes. and dont attempt to explain horsepower and torque to me, i do all my own work....you aint talkin to some chump that dont have a clue. i know the difference in torque and horsepower. torque wins races, horsepower sells parts. and dont be a dipshit and try to turn my words around by substituting my statments with rediculous talk about semi trucks and ****.

Quick Reply: What do Sportster Owners Think of the SB?