Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get an Iron, have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
sweetroll
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about the same size/weight - you'll be good on the 883 w/ forward controls at first, expecially if you'll be doing mostly around town driving. I just converted to a 1250 - most of the gain from that is on the highways at 50+mph. I agree with above on style - if you're looking for the all black look, go iron. Converting it to 1200 is cheaper later on, and you'll be able to customize your motor more at that point too. I prefer to have that flexibility.
Oh, by the way - plan on pipes, air cleaner, and tuner soon too - you'll probably want more sound soon.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

I think either one will fit your size. Go with what you like and dont just jump right in with the forwards. Try out the mids and see how you like them. Give them a little while and you might find that you like them better. I did.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forward controls suck. Don't get them.

The two bikes are the same size. The engine displacement is different. Neither are very high-performance out of the box, no doubt, either way you will do some work on them. The money you save on the 883 will easily cover making a strong 1200+ build w/the iron.

They are basically the same bike. Choose based on looks... and if you're really not a do-it-yourselfer/touch it after you buy it person, maybe stick with the nightster. I'd go Iron,

And again, forward controls on sporsters suck. Don't do it. You'll regret it forever and be an outcast.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
edubz
Stage IV

What don't you guys like about the forward controls? I would definitely try the mids out for a little while before going for any different set up. How tall are you guys?

I don't have any experience working on engines, how hard is a conversion to do for a beginner?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by edubz
What don't you guys like about the forward controls? I would definitely try the mids out for a little while before going for any different set up. How tall are you guys?

I don't have any experience working on engines, how hard is a conversion to do for a beginner?
It's a can of worms here. I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam.

Forward controls have you sitting on the bike, and your legs are basically useless. You sit atop the bike, and use your feet to operate the controls, it's a passive position.

Mid controls let you really ride the bike, and can take your weight off your butt so you can throw it around easier to throw the bike around easier. It also allows you to hang off the side and take corners faster... basically, there is a reason sportsbikes don't have forward controls... the physics of it make forward controls impractical for anything but moderate speed cruising. Sure you can still ride the bike "hard" and grind parts (especially on a harley with a 28 degree lean angle), but it's different game.

Forward controls look cool, create clean lines, and make you look cool riding it. That's why they exist.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

I'm 6'1 and have mids.
They're great and I actually think they compliment the Nightster's looks better than forwards.
As said above, they allow you to feel the bike better and give better performance in my eye. People will argue forever about this point, so it's really up to you.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer

Originally Posted by midnight2005
at 6'2 and 180 lbs. I strongly suggest nothing smaller than 1200 with forwards of course. You can go for the 883 but you will want to upgrade eventually. I say do it once and never look back, you will love the N.
X's 2!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
fox4
Road Master

I'm 5'8" 175lbs of man with a 30 inch inseam.

I put the forwards on my bike a month after riding with the stock mids and can also say that I liked the mids better. Especially because they make the bike easier to stand up on when going over bumps. Oh and the forwards are expensive, thats another reason not to jump right in and buy them. And the forwards aren't very forward. I know for me they kind of put my feet between a mid control and what I would consider a forward control. I always ride with my heels on the pegs to get my legs in a more extended and comfortable riding position.

If you plan on a drag bar with the stock risers the forwards can make for a bit of an awkward riding postion, or at least I think so.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
fox4
Road Master

Lol my sig is a perfect expample pic of where the forwards put my feet and legs. In it the pegs are in the middle of the bottom of my feet. I might go home tonight and put my mids back on I think.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
edubz
Stage IV

Originally Posted by fox4
Lol my sig is a perfect expample pic of where the forwards put my feet and legs. In it the pegs are in the middle of the bottom of my feet. I might go home tonight and put my mids back on I think.

I see what you're saying. It looks like the bars and pegs want your body to be in two different positions. The mids seems like they would give you more freedom to move on the bike.

Hmm, I think its gonna be a last minute decision between the Iron and the Nightster. I guess it depends on what I can get for my car to which one I end up getting. Aestically I like them both, tough decision.

Last edited by edubz; 08-12-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to get an Iron, have a couple questions