Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessories for the Iron - which one's??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Iron Lady
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessories for the Iron - which one's??

Hello everyone.

Getting my new bike in Sept/Oct this year, and looking for some luggage options. For those of you more experienced in this, I ask your advice.

Which would be the cheaper option

the whole sissy bar/luggage rack set up (with having to put a pillion seat on too), I have the bag to put on it.

or

saddle bags/paniers?

I've been doing a little bit of sniffing around sites, those saddle bags are very bloody expensive, didn't realise that. So wondering which is the cheaper option for me??

Being a chick, of course we want to carry more **** than most people, so need something for when I go away.

Ta

Lisa

Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just depends on which bags you go with. If I had to estimate off the top of my head, the pillion, back rest (with all the hardware), luggage rack and passenger pegs would run you somewhere around 500-600 USD, if not more. I know there are bags out there for less. The other problem is the size of the bags. I have only seen a few sets that will fit the Iron that look good. Someone on here has a set from Willie and Max that they have mounted forward of the shocks. It is one of the better looking set ups I have seen, but the bags look to be pretty small. There was a thread not to long ago that asked folks to post pics of Irons with bags, try to dig it up, there were some good pics in there

Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Iron Lady
Intermediate

thanks for that Brett. There's so much to do once you actually purchase your bike, it's just as costly. But I will be trying to do the cheaper option.

I will try and dig up the older posts, thanks.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could put on a sissy bar and a luggage rack without a passenger seat. Is it just that you don't like the look of that without the passenger seat?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Iron Lady
Intermediate

Originally Posted by killer scott
You could put on a sissy bar and a luggage rack without a passenger seat. Is it just that you don't like the look of that without the passenger seat?
Yeah I thought it might look a bit gay without the pillion seat on it with the sissy bar.

I haven't seen too many bikes with the sissy bar and no pillion seat. Unless I got the rack on, and put a sissy bar (without the pad) on it for when I need to use the bag.

Just got to see what accessories deals they will do for me when I purchase the bike. I haven't negotiated any of that yet.

I might go and do the "accessorise your bike" thingy on the USA HD site again and try it without the pillion seat and see what it looks like.

Cheers

Lisa

Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 AM
gijim
Advanced

i've seen quite a few sportys running around with a sissy bar and no passenger seat. however its usually a custom one rather than the standard HD sissy bar which is set up to be used as a backrest, check around at some of the guy's pics on here, I can't remember off the top of my head who but there are a couple solo seats running sissy bars on here. either way, enjoy your bike and welcome to the forums

-G*I*J*I*M

Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Look into the Lick's Solo Bag.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Iron Lady
Intermediate

Well after finally getting the accessoriser to work on the HD site, I built two bikes, one with the sissy bar/luggage rack, no pillion seat etc, and it looked OK. I also added the engine guard which I also want.

Then I did the throw over saddle bags with the engine guard too, and compared prices

Saddle bags and engine guard - $609 USD

Luggage rack etc and engine guard $623 USD

Obviously I have to put that into aussie dollars. but there's not much of a difference. The main difference is the pillion seat I think.

Anyway, will talk shop with the dealer shortly.

Cheers

Lisa

Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
gdtrfb_ams
Stage III
Default Rack

I'm looking at options for rack or bags. Most bags don't look like they hold much. So I'm back to the rack option for a trip. I'd prefer not to keep the rack on the majority of the time. I put on a solo seat and want to keep the sporty lookin' sporty. Of course HD has the detachable for 200+ with hardware. I've looked at Milwauke Twins and Motherwell racks that mount on the fender. Does anyone have any experience with these? Just wondering if they mark up the fender, and how they've worked for you in general. Or if you have an HD detachable, how much crap can you feasibly load up on it? Thanks for any info.