Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward control or mid-control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just one of those "feel" things.... you are going to have to decide for yourself after you put some riding time on the bike. You'll know what feels comfortable. Don't go by what you think will "look" right...go by what actually "feels" right.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I used forwards for years because everyone thinks they are cool, but when I put a set of mids back on one of my Sportsters I couldn't believe how much harder you can ride the bike and how much longer you can ride.
Mids are for people that ride the crap out there bike and forwards are for cruising.
Ride your bike for at least a few months before changing and then ride someones 1200 custom before deciding.
Mids are the new black!!!!!!!!!
agree 100%. forwards are great if you cruise around. for super-cruise on the interstate: forget it. mids or rears are the only way to go.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO ride the bike for a bit and see how it feels. After some time on the bike you will be able to decide if you want to change the seat, bars and controls. All 3 will change your riding position.

I disagree with those that say forwards dont belong on a Sporty. Motorcycles are for riding and yes the Sportster is designed for more agressive riding than a Fatboy or Bagger. However, if someone feels cramped and uncomfortable with mid-controls they will invariably ride less and less agressively.

Creating a posture that allows your body to feel in tune with the bike will give you the most enjoyment out of the ride.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 AM
NightsterAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
Do yourself a favor, OP, and ignore posts like this. Not trying to be a dick, but it's about riding style/performance, not fit. Big guys ride sportsbikes all the time, last I checked, none of them have forward controls. Don't make it a macho "I'm to big" debate. It's a different riding position, for a different riding style. Fit can be fixed with seats and handle bar adjustments.

If you want to ride aggressively and/or have two foot positions, keep the mids and add highway pegs. If you want to "cruise" with the cool kids atop your rolling chair, get forwards.
I used to read this guy's argument about mids / forwards alot when I got my nightster. I used to think, that he came off as a dick, but he does have some great points. I really dont think it's about the riders size. It's what makes YOU comfortable. I'm 6'1 175 and have come to love the mids on my nightser. Actually, I would like to get them a little higher. It does give you the ability to lean in the corners and allows you to push your bike to the limits.

Again, It's really up to the rider and not really about the size. I know lots of 6 ft + guys that swear by mid controls.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM
r0880
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the custom with forwards (and bigger tank) as I intended to do a lot of highway riding. In reality its done about the same distance around town. Sat on one with mids when I was looking and didn't feel right to me. Forwards around town is fine if you have decent balance coming to a stop. I find on long distance (as in 2000 miles in a weekend) I have the passenger pegs down to do the occasional stretch on or to soak up that mammoth bump I see coming up. Kind of like dodgy rearsets....