Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward control or mid-control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
njluder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankz for the info fellez...Cant wait to ride her home on Monday..Ill keep you guys posted...good looking out

Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
krazykat
6th Gear

I like my forward controls...they are just the right length for my legs. I am 5' 10" and my inseam is 30". So it's more or less like I am sitting in a chair, I am not stretched out and I can still lean forward to get my body weight over the tank to improve the weight distribution for cornering and all that jazz...though I do think that the mids would go a long way to helping with that aspect. I have sat on a Dyna Super Glide and Soft Tails and I do know that I can not use forwards on those bikes...I am just too short in the legs department. The sporty is just the right size for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Mids for motorcycle riding, forwards for motorcycle cruising, and mids with highway pegs for the best of both worlds. I prefer to really ride, so mids win for me. If I'm taking a long one with a lot of highways involved, I'll bolt on the highway pegs, too. The mids on a Sportster are a little too high in relation to the seat, and the problem is compounded by fitting lower seats. A taller seat is an option, but that solution doesn't look cool enough for many...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 83XLX
Mids for motorcycle riding, forwards for motorcycle cruising, and mids with highway pegs for the best of both worlds. I prefer to really ride, so mids win for me. If I'm taking a long one with a lot of highways involved, I'll bolt on the highway pegs, too. The mids on a Sportster are a little too high in relation to the seat, and the problem is compounded by fitting lower seats. A taller seat is an option, but that solution doesn't look cool enough for many...

Nice bike.

You said it more politely than I did. But much of HD land is fantasy land, so the facts are often ill-received.

Keep the mids on the Nightster or trade it in for a Nightrain if what you want is a black cruiser.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used forwards for years because everyone thinks they are cool, but when I put a set of mids back on one of my Sportsters I couldn't believe how much harder you can ride the bike and how much longer you can ride.
Mids are for people that ride the crap out there bike and forwards are for cruising.
Ride your bike for at least a few months before changing and then ride someones 1200 custom before deciding.
Mids are the new black!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
Nice bike.

You said it more politely than I did. But much of HD land is fantasy land, so the facts are often ill-received.

Keep the mids on the Nightster or trade it in for a Nightrain if what you want is a black cruiser.
Danke, Herr Monk. Facts are facts. If you want handling, mids are better than forwards, and rearsets are better than mids. I like handling more than looks, hence the long shocks and fork brace.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
rob91326
Cruiser

Had both and prefer forwards, more comfortable for me. Took some getting used to though at first for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
tinman67
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
SORRY, That's just plain silly. Do yourself a favor and ignore posts like the above. Not trying to be a dick, but it's about rider fit and comfort, NOT necessarily Style and Performance. Style is for Bar Hoppers and Performance is always relative to a particular application, ie. running the 1/4 mile vs. riding an Iron Butt are totally different scenarios and bike configurations.

I ride over 20,000 miles a year on my Sporty which includes everything from 500+ mile days on an interstate to several 2-3 week vacation trips to the twisties each year where I do nothing but log a couple of thousand miles grinding pegs.

There is no right "one size fits all answer". You need to evaluate both your size and how you intend to use the bike.

+1 on cHarley's post. If you have to add the word's"not trying to be a dick" to your post as herr monk did, you are probably being a dick. The best advice is from all those who say try both to see what is comfortable for you and your riding style. I like my forwards and may move them +4". This is a comfortable riding position for me. That's not to say it's for you. Only you can decide.

Last edited by tinman67; 08-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
jtaylor
Tourer

I just put forwards on my nightster I like them better than the mids. They offer a more comfortable riding position for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, as others have already stated, it depends on your riding style, your comfort, and your bars. But what it really comes down to is your overall personal preference.

Quick Reply: Forward control or mid-control?