Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward control or mid-control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
davehtutk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the great luck of riding both, my wifes nightster has mids and mine has forwards. Riding around is much more comfortable on mine with forwards than hers but she cant reach mine so height is something to think about. Also if you get a engine guard your foot will hit it with forward controls. It takes some getting used to but you figure it out pretty quick on how to just it the shifter with the tip of the foot and not get caught on the engine guard. Both are good. I would just suggest sitting on both to see which fits better. Say a 1200c (Stock Forward Controls) verus the nightster

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davehtutk
I have the great luck of riding both, my wifes nightster has mids and mine has forwards. Riding around is much more comfortable on mine with forwards than hers but she cant reach mine so height is something to think about. Also if you get a engine guard your foot will hit it with forward controls. It takes some getting used to but you figure it out pretty quick on how to just it the shifter with the tip of the foot and not get caught on the engine guard. Both are good. I would just suggest sitting on both to see which fits better. Say a 1200c (Stock Forward Controls) verus the nightster
Do yourself a favor, OP, and ignore posts like this. Not trying to be a dick, but it's about riding style/performance, not fit. Big guys ride sportsbikes all the time, last I checked, none of them have forward controls. Don't make it a macho "I'm to big" debate. It's a different riding position, for a different riding style. Fit can be fixed with seats and handle bar adjustments.

If you want to ride aggressively and/or have two foot positions, keep the mids and add highway pegs. If you want to "cruise" with the cool kids atop your rolling chair, get forwards.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
Do yourself a favor, OP, and ignore posts like this. Not trying to be a dick, but it's about riding style/performance, not fit. Big guys ride sportsbikes all the time, last I checked, none of them have forward controls. Don't make it a macho "I'm to big" debate. It's a different riding position, for a different riding style. Fit can be fixed with seats and handle bar adjustments.

If you want to ride aggressively and/or have two foot positions, keep the mids and add highway pegs. If you want to "cruise" with the cool kids atop your rolling chair, get forwards.
SORRY, That's just plain silly. Do yourself a favor and ignore posts like the above. Not trying to be a dick, but it's about rider fit and comfort, NOT necessarily Style and Performance. Style is for Bar Hoppers and Performance is always relative to a particular application, ie. running the 1/4 mile vs. riding an Iron Butt are totally different scenarios and bike configurations.

I ride over 20,000 miles a year on my Sporty which includes everything from 500+ mile days on an interstate to several 2-3 week vacation trips to the twisties each year where I do nothing but log a couple of thousand miles grinding pegs.

There is no right "one size fits all answer". You need to evaluate both your size and how you intend to use the bike.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Forwards with the stirrups on the pegs- perfect,can move your feet back like mids untill it's too uncomfortable

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Charles:
Tourer

If you have a Nightster (aka 1 inch suspension travel ), I'd stick with mids. With forwards, your back will take every bump and it will ache after a bit. With mids, you can support your weight a bit easier. I'm 6" and prefer mids.
In the end, it comes down to what you're willing to put up with.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Badass67stang
Cruiser

I prefer mid controls myself just feels more comfortable.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,340 Likes on 8,407 Posts

I have a buddy that say's mids are the thing to have. He's under 5' 10". I have forward on mine and I like them. My buddy also says, with the mids he could kick off the bike if he had to lay it down. And he says, I can't do that on my bike. Hope we never have to find out!!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Squee
Cruiser

I am 5' 10" and had mids with highway pegs on my Nightster. I have mids with highway pegs on my Streetbob now and don't think I will go forwards.

I rode my brothers softail which only had forwards. Did not like the feel of it. While it was nice to be stretched out, I missed having the mids to do some "spirited" riding and having the option of moving around while taking a cruise.

Personally, I would try the highway pegs first. A bit cheaper of a step if you find you don't like having your feet all the way up it isn't that much out of your pocket compared to switching out the controls.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
SDLS
Intermediate

i have ridden bikes with mids and now i have forward controls. I love them. I won't be going back to mids

Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
ChoppedNbobbeD
Cruiser

i completely disagree with the guy who said height does not matter. it pains my knees to ride with mid controls, but i can still ride it, but I'm not gonna be uncomfortable on the bike i ride everyday.
and as far as the performance aspect you speak of. i think you are stuck in the Harley rumors. NEWS FLASH EINSTEIN.....ITS THE ABILITY OF THE RIDER THAT MAKES A BIKE PERFORM WELL NOT SOMETHING LIKE PEGS! a good quality rider can get on any bike and rip up the road.
and do you really think the guy who asked our opinion about this issue is gonna take you serious when your coming on here acing like a dik. no, he probably thinks what were all thinking, your acting like a dik. give your opinion, no need to bash others on what theirs is.
so to answer the thread, go with what is comfterable for you. your the one riding it everyday.

Quick Reply: Forward control or mid-control?