Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity Stack Air Cleaners... bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a quick pick of what I got on the BSA, I put a micro screen on the intake surface......i don't know why it turned out so crusty looking in the picture, but it actually looks nice in person.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...2/IMG_0147.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...2/IMG_0149.jpg

Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenomorph
Thanks for all your reply's everyone!!! Hey Oldschool, that looks bad@$$!!! I love the idea of a filter too for that added protection, what brand is the above and where did you get it? Thanks!

hey man, got it from v-twin manufacturing. they are a wholesaler so ya gotta find a retailer, i got mine off ebay, bolts right up to the cv.

what everyone is sayin is right, they are not for performance unless yr doin serious track stuff. this one is total show no go but who gives a **** look at my bike lol.

i think justified deffience on ebay has them.

good luck

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had stacks with screens on my 66 Norton Atlas but for the rebuild I got the air cleaner unit for the carbs, I was too worried about trashing the engine. Old skool has the ticket.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Torturro
Stage IV
Default Velocity Stack + air cleaner

Attachment 540695[/QUOTE]

Can anyone point me to manufacturer of above stack with filter?
regards
Thomas

Last edited by Torturro; 10-17-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: change of mind - adding picture
Old 10-17-2021, 07:24 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,056 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Torturro
regards
Thomas[/QUOTE]

Hello Thomas,

I've seen plenty of velocity stacks in my time but none of them have had filters, at best they have a metal wire mesh across their bell mouth to stop your motor sucking passing seagulls or small rodents.

I have a 2011 XL883N 'Iron'. Three years ago I bought a cheap Chinese knock off of a Roland Sands Design velocity stack on Aliexpress,for the unbelievable low price of £14.20 including shipping to the UK. The stack was machined from aluminium billet and anodised black, The stack just had a stainless steel mesh across it's 3" diameter mouth. Here is one below.

I junked the stainless mesh on mine, I wanted the black look, so I bought a 3" diameter black speaker grill. I wanted my stack to have some kind of filtration so I bought a 12" square piece of filter media for an air conditioning unit, I cut three 3" diameter circles of the filter media to act as a filter for the stack. I then bought a 3" diameter piece of perforated stainless steel sheet, this went into the mouth of the stack first. I then laid the three pieces of filter on top of each other and put the speaker grill on top of them, the stacks retaining ring was screwed back on using black stainless button head screws and I had a velocity stack with an internal filter.

You can see the finished result in the photos of my Iron's motor below., all together the stack cost me less than £25.00 to put together and it works and looks great. They are also available in a silver anodised finish.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:07 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

I used the Kuryakyn velociraptor that has a K&N air filter. No issues with performance.

Replaced it with an Arlen Ness Deep Cut Inverted AC which was built and looked much better. Also installed a customized external breather.

The following users liked this post:
Torturro (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:17 PM
Torturro
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Rob Roy's Revenge
regards
Thomas
Hello Thomas,

I've seen plenty of velocity stacks in my time but none of them have had filters, at best they have a metal wire mesh across their bell mouth to stop your motor sucking passing seagulls or small rodents.

I have a 2011 XL883N 'Iron'. Three years ago I bought a cheap Chinese knock off of a Roland Sands Design velocity stack on Aliexpress,for the unbelievable low price of £14.20 including shipping to the UK. The stack was machined from aluminium billet and anodised black, The stack just had a stainless steel mesh across it's 3" diameter mouth. Here is one below.

I junked the stainless mesh on mine, I wanted the black look, so I bought a 3" diameter black speaker grill. I wanted my stack to have some kind of filtration so I bought a 12" square piece of filter media for an air conditioning unit, I cut three 3" diameter circles of the filter media to act as a filter for the stack. I then bought a 3" diameter piece of perforated stainless steel sheet, this went into the mouth of the stack first. I then laid the three pieces of filter on top of each other and put the speaker grill on top of them, the stacks retaining ring was screwed back on using black stainless button head screws and I had a velocity stack with an internal filter.

You can see the finished result in the photos of my Iron's motor below., all together the stack cost me less than £25.00 to put together and it works and looks great. They are also available in a silver anodised finish.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you ,
this is great work and cheap too!
Not for me I think? - as mine ride is Road Star 1600.. will check.

Rob Roy's Revenge (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:19 PM
Torturro
Stage IV

Thank you -
have you had to rejet?
And those two different types - you changed because of different style chosen?

Rob Roy's Revenge (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:20 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 982 Posts

Forum sponsor DK Customs has a lot of options with screens/filters/etc...

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ste...k-vs-ss-cs.htm

hope this helps,

T.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Torturro
Stage IV

I've seen tometh like that on a forum - I guess HD - but looks great - its installed (probably bought) in USA, I wonder if enyone knows manufacturer? (not able to read)

Quick Reply: Velocity Stack Air Cleaners... bad?