Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:48 AM
kmm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Sporty?

I wanna buy a new bike

I have been to the dealers they throw 15 grand of my money around like its 15 bucks

"You will want to upgrade in a year"

'It's just a sportster"

" The Dyna is a better investment so float a loan"

Just this morning a dealer called me that I visted 4 weeks ago to follow up

Of course the weather was crappy in NY today

I told him I was thinking new, used sporty , dyna etc, and besides the fact I dont like all Long Island dealers charge a 1000 bucks dealer prep

Not to mention I work nights and he left a message on my cell phone , which I disregard at 9 am

Then called my home phone

Bottom line I starting to think a nice sporty with some pipes and a rejet might be the way to go

I can pay cash for it as opposed to taking a loan and writing a check for a bike that cant be ridin' in 18 inches of snow in January

Everyone with a ton of cash or an inheritance bashes the sportys

But I am thinking this could be the way to go

After all the motors are rubber mounted now and only 2 inches smaller then the Dynas

What do you guys think?

KMM

Old 05-27-2006, 07:17 AM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser
Default RE: Thinking about a Sporty?

That must be a standard reply they have for harley salespeople cause mine said the same thing,you "will want to upgrade in a year".And maybe I will who knows but so far I really like my 97 Sporty.A lot depends on your size and what you will use the bike for in my opinion.Im 6' and right at 200lbs.Any bigger and yes I would want a bigger bike,but Im comfortable on it with forward controls.If you do a lot of in town driving I think you will like the sporty cause its light and fun to ride,if your gonna be on the highway a lot you may not like that its light because I think it feels like I get blown around a little when it is windy.And the sporty seems to have a little higher center of gravity.I feel like I get blown around a lot if its real windy but then that may just be me.All around I love the sporty and for those that bash it well screw them it yours not theres.Guy at work that has a big electr glide harley has his in pieces painting it and has been for a while now and was kidding me about my sporty one day,I said hey come here let me show you something outside,We walked outside and I said look at my sporty thought you might wanna remember what a harley looks like all in one piece...........lol
Any he kids me about it but he also says all his friends that have sportys love em.
Get what you like and have a great time riding it.
If it was me and I could pay cash for it,I would buy the sporty,then if you do decide in a year you want something else then you can trade it in.
Either way good luck and enjoy your new ride whatever you decide it will be.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:45 AM
streetbobjim
Cruiser

i bought a new sportster and 6 months later i sold it and got a dyna. i know that the salesmen are trying to increase your spend, but on the other hand, they may have a point. at the end of the day though, it depends on you. the sportster is better handling and more precise, but the dyna is much more comfortable. the dyna (in my opinion) has more of a harley presence also. So if you can, test ride both.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:20 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had baggers, softails and now ride an 05 1200 C. I am 5'10 and weight 175 lbs. The bike fits me very well. However I am also 72 years old and the size and weight fits me better too. I'm very happy with the Sportster and will probably keep it a long time. However, there's no question there's a difference and only you can decide if that difference is worth it to you or not.

Another thing to consider is: So what if in a year or two you trade up, sideways or down. No body says you have to marry the next bike you buy. H*ll I've had 7 different bikes in the last 15 years.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Harvey Mushman
Banned

I have a simple rule I use for any new purchase, be it a car or truck, a bike, gun, ect. Since no one item does everything best, I get what works best for 80-90% of what I want it to do. I can make do for the other 10-20%.
The Sportster was the absolute best choice for me, and I didn't need to take out a loan, either.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 AM
NEW2HD
Cruiser

"It's just a Sportster" - Matter of OPINION

"A Dyna is a better investment" - Two different bikes in two different price brackets. Again, matter of OPINION.

Dont listen to salespeople. Get what you want. If you ask me, the Sporty is the way to go, because it sounds to me like you will ride it off the dealers lot PAID FOR. No loan hassles. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:49 AM
xlpete
5th Gear

I think you have to ask yourself what you want the bike for . Will I ride mainly city with short hiway trips . Then get the sporty but if you want to go on longer hiway trips I would say dyna because it is better suited for hiway. Don't get me wrong you can ride a sporty from coast to coast but thats not what they are made for.

xlpete

Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some more thoughts. Obviously the salesman will make a bigger commission off the more expensive bike. DUHH !

Consider what I did. Shop for a good, recent vintage, used bike. I bought an 05 1200 C tricked out with front axle covers, v.r. cover, detach windshield, Harley bags, windshield bag, crash bars (engine guard) with 1300 miles for 8150.00. Sure, I had to fly from Tucson to Nashville to get it but what an adventure it was. I didn't consider the cost of getting it as part of the cost of the bike. I put more miles bring it home (1700) than it started with. As far as I'm concerned it was like buying a new bike without dealer prep or SALES TAX ! !

You might find the softail you want for near the price of a new Sportster or you might find a good used Sportster and still have some bucks left in your pocket.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:05 PM
MaDmAn$06SpOrTy
Advanced

For me buying a Sportster was the a matter of price and the style of the bike suited me. Its going to be the first bike i have ever owned. I had experience riding crotch rockets and enjoyed the ride but knowing myself i didnt want to get into any trouble, cause i love speed. Harleys have always apealed to me, I love the customization you can do that represented your personality plus its American. Most of the Army guys in my community here in Germany ride BT's and it will be nice to be differant. I think it comes down to what your confortable with riding and what suits your style. I not as experience as the rest of you in this since, i think it comes down to your own feelings.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got less than $11,000 invested in my 2005 1200C, which includes quite a bit of money for the new front end to firm up the front suspension and extend the wheelbase to give it a more comfortable ride during long range cruising.

I'm not even going to say how much I have invested in my Dyna WideGlide, but be assured that it is much more than $11,000.

I've owned a number of stock and chopped BT's during the past 35 years, and they have all been great bikes. But to be truthful, many of them were more at home on short cruises and on display at some bike show than for dependable daily use.

The bottom line is that the 1200C is meant to be driven, and driven hard. The performance, handling, and balance is better than that of my Dyna (even after modifications). The lighter weight of the 1200C makes quick handling on twisty roads fun, not a chore.

Friends and associates know that I own a nicely modified Dyna FXDWG, but the Dyna doesn't get nearly as many positive comments as when I'm on the WG converted 1200C. It's always the center of attraction, even among the general public that only know a Harley as "A Harley", without knowing all the specific models. Long time Dyna riders I know have ridden my 1200C and fall in love with it. It has the looks, power, and handling, it just has it all....

Would I trade my < $11,000 1200C for one of the 'run of the mill' >$18,000 Dyna's? No chance, unless I just made the trade to sell the bike and make a quick profit. I'd just set up another identical 1200C and pocket the left over cash.

My FXDWG would probably get the nod for '2-up' long range cruising, but I don't ride '2-up' so that's not a concern.

Bottom line, they are all Harley's, from the smallest 883 Sporty to the largest RK, so get whatever floats your boat. But don't assume the Sportster is a bike that you will need to replace in a few months to "upgrade" to a BT. A Sportster will do everything you want, and more, no matter what commissioned based sales people may say.

Like I've said before, I feel like I upgraded when I purchased my '05 1200C.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Sporty?