Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:52 PM
JR Bean
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about a Sporty?

I just purchased a used 04 roadster and love it. You can not keep me off of it. I have rode in the past but not on a HD. The best part was I paid for it in cash. And still had money for saddlebags, windshield and some other items. When you walk in to the dealer with a $$ amount you want to spend and stay to it. The dealers will always try to upgrade you if you are buying a car or even a table saw. So I would buy a sporty and with the extra money I would have spend upgrading I would buy a snowmoblie for winter riding. Thats just my 2cents..

Old 05-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Black Katalyst
Intermediate

I know of people who never owned anything but Sporty's.

Test ride, test ride, test ride.

If you like the Sporty, buy the Sporty. If you like a Dyna, buy the Dyna.

Its a big investment, buy what feels right, not what sounds right.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 PM
rbcss
Tourer

my opinion, it's a blast to ride. I get alot of complments where ever I go. nobody has ever knocked me about my bike. it's a '05 xl 1200 c. I've changed the look of it somewhat. and alot of people look and look then ask if a sportster. they all say "thats a nice bike". I have alot of fun with it. sometimes I wish had a bagger or something bigger just for cruising and I might one of these days but I don't I would get rid of my sportster. I would have both. the sportster is more my style of riding.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:45 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've enjoyed all the Harleys I've had over the years but the Sportster deals out a double dose of the FUN factor.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:56 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In contrast to what many of you experienced with the dealer push, my sales dude actually steered me toward the Sporty. I had walked in with the idea of getting a Softail STD, DWG, or maybe a FB. Long story short, the sales guy worked hard to get me into the Sporty.

No regrets either. I still like the BT's and may still get one but right now its hard to think of having anthing but the Sporty.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
marinecorpsmike
Intermediate

I bought a 1200 Sportster in 1990 and still have it. It's as much fun now as it was 16 years ago. I also just bought a 2006 Dyna Street Bob. Love it also but a completely different ride. Point is , if YOU like the ride a Sportster gives ya, get it and prepare to smile alot. If others think that they are somehow less than a Dyna or Softtail, so what. Maybe they can't handle a Sportster. With all the improvments since I bought mine, they're even more fun to ride, No need to worry about wanting to trade up, you'll be having too much fun to think about it.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Harvey Mushman
Banned

My experience at Southern Tier Harley Davidson in New York was just like what bensonjv described. I walked in looking to buy a Sportster, it was just a matter of seeing the used bikes before I decided to buy new. Brian, my sales guy listened to what I wanted, showed me what he had, and answered all my questions about future upgrades without any B.S. He did not try to steer me into more bike than I wanted or needed. The Sportster is the right bike for me and I'm damn happy with it. If I ever move down to where the flatlanders ride, I'll think about a bigger bike.