Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Reserve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:20 PM
ThePaul
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Reserve Issue

I picked up an '05 1200R from the HD dealership in town earlier this week. In the past 4 days I have ran out of gas twice. The first time was soon after I drove the bike home from the dealership and was putting around the neighborhood (total of 13 miles ridding -- I guess used bikes are sold with the gas they came in with ). The next time I ran out of gas after cruising around some country roads and I was headed toward the gas station at the time.

My problem (besides needing to learn where to fill up on my Trip odometer) is that both times I ran out of gas, I flipped over to reserve and got nothing. First time, tank was bone dry .. couldn't hear any fuel at all... engine wouldn't start. Second time, could hear a little fuel at the bottom sloshing around, engine would start but would die after idoling for a few seconds.

Is there something wrong with my reserve pitcock? Is there something else wrong with the bike? Is this all due to rider error (very possible)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Reserve Issue

Point the short end of the petcock lever towards fuel. It sounds to me that you're doing it the opposite way in that you are thinking the long end is the one to point. It's not. If you're pointing the long end at fuel, your short end is already pointing at reserve. No-No.

Doing what you're doing, you will run out of reserve and have nothing left. I have an 05 1200 C with a 4.5 gal tank. I run 3.5 gal before I need to go on reserve and then I have one gallon of fuel left. At 50 mpg I can run 175 max before I have to go on reserve and then I have 50 miles max before I'm out of gas.

Difficult as it might be, I hope my explanation is understandable.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Along with proper petcock orientation, are you resetting your trip odo at every fillup? Set the speedo to Trip A or Trip B. Hold the button on the rear of your seedo for 1-3 seconds until your trip odo resets to zero. You can use one like this to track miles between fillups and the other for total trip mileage. I always have my "gas" trip showing. I usually fill up between 120-150. At or around 175 I usually need to hit the reserve. That mileage is based on the 4.5 gal tank; adjust accordingly for the peanut.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM
ThePaul
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I think I have the correct end of the petcock pointed to fuel (not the long pointed side).

bensonjv, thanks for the tip. I am doing that now, but I would like the re-assurance of knowing that my reserve will be there if I needed it.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there something wrong with my reserve pitcock? Is there something else wrong with the bike? Is this all due to rider error (very possible)?
There was a recall some time ago about bikes who were sold with petcocks installed in reverse. So when you put it in the "on" position it would be on reserve so when you run out of gas you run out of gas. Look to see if maybe your bike was effected by the recall, but it was never fixed.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:28 PM
jhugs92
Advanced

on my 2005 1200r, i usually get about 110 miles before having to flip to reserve. i have some mods, but maybe that will give you a ballpark idea of when to expect to have to flip to reserve.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser

From the sounds of it...i think i've always been running on reserve... How exactly does the tank work..
.. If it's on the on position, it will only use a certain amount, but if it's on the reserve position, it will suck the tank completely dry? When I turn my petcock from horizontal (off) I only push it down, which puts the short end pointing to reserve...if what i said is right then...it will drain the tank dry with out leaving some for reserve. But if I push the petcock 3/4 of a turn, that will have the long side pointed up, and the short and pointing to on. (glad i read this thread b4 i went empty!)

Marc

Old 05-26-2006, 05:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Off

On

Reserve

Old 05-26-2006, 06:12 PM
HarleyRulez
Intermediate

Thanks for the clarification. I just bought a 2004 XL1200C (advertised right on this site btw) and was confused by Whaap's post. This confirms I have been doing it right. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Elwood77
Intermediate

OldFenderGuy:
hmmm thats strange... on my 05' sporty: up is off, to the right is on and to the left is reserve.. lest thats what the plate has stamped on it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Reserve Issue