Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883c bars to 883l bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM
labelman42
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 883c bars to 883l bars

Hey all,

I want to put the 883 low bars on my 2007 883 custom. Dealer wants 600 dollars to replace all of the wire clutch and brake lines.

has anyone done this with the bars and if so, what did you have to replace if anything ???

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
ashenfang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, if you are going from custom bars to low bars you won't need to change anything. I went from custom bars to Dyna wide glide bars, and the only thing I had to change was the brake line for ~$30 and extend the wiring (did myself ~$10)

The only thing you may need to do is a new brake line, all else will fit. $600 is ridiculous, did that include a bottle of lube?

Tell the dealer to take a hike. You can do the job yourself for less than ~$100 and few hours on a saturday.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't know if the 883-C is the same as my 06 1200-C. I put the L bars on mine this last Winter. I had to replace "everything" even had to add 4" to all the wires. My total cost for parts was just under $300 I did all the labor. I did save my old grips. I could have got by with 2" on the wires if I pulled them tight but I got a plug in wire kit that came with 4" so I put the wires back in to stock position. On average I was 4" over stock on everything. I think I could have got by with 2" on the throttle cables, and 3" on the clutch and brake. If I remember right the clutch cable was the most expensive part. I got the bars at the HD dealer for around $70.
I fond it to be a lot of work and most of the time didn't enjoy doing it. If I had the $ to pay to have it done I would, but another $300 for labor may be a little high. Some people would like doing this kind of work on there bike, I'm not one of them. One thing I really do like that I did this myself is I know how all the wires work under the gas tank now... Good luck.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
labelman42
Novice

ashenfang yeah really, thats why i fugured I would post to see what others have done.

Do you like the dyna bars or the sporty bars ??

There is so many out there, all I am trying to accomplish is to get the bars about 2 or 3 inches closer to me so I dont have to lean over as much.

I thought about the seat but my legs are perfect, just need somthing with the bars.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2009, 07:00 PM
ashenfang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by labelman42
ashenfang yeah really, thats why i fugured I would post to see what others have done.

Do you like the dyna bars or the sporty bars ??

There is so many out there, all I am trying to accomplish is to get the bars about 2 or 3 inches closer to me so I dont have to lean over as much.

I thought about the seat but my legs are perfect, just need somthing with the bars.

Thanks
The dyna bars rock! It gives you that in between feel. Not low bars and not apes either. Depends on what you are going for. I was going for the comfortuable upright riding position, and thats exactly what they offered. I purchased the bars from the dealer @ 60 bucks. I extended the wiring about 4" using my own wiring and a soldering iron. Im not sure how the previous poster had to change all his cables, as I didn't change any except for brake line, and the dyna bars have about 4" more lift on them.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM
rwjjr
Tourer

ttt ...keep this going Im wanting to do the swap myself and want info.Also does anyone have a part # on the low bars??

Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
CBurk
Advanced

hey ashenfang, do you still have the stock "custom" riser with your dyna bars?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:37 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

There are a lot posts about this. Try a search.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To do it right . Your Dealer is right if you want it to look factory. Or just pull the break line stright. run the cables out side the triple tree. Let the Clutch cable hang loose off the frame. Take the back plate off the riser let the wires pull tight off the dimples on the bars. Now how do I know this I bought a 06 1200 C with the 883L bars some A hole modified that way looked like **** was not safe. I put the bike back stock had to buy new BK line back plate for riser all the stuff this guy messed up on the bike . But the up side was I bought the 1200C for $6.500 back in NOV of 2007 with 2100 miles and 1year left on warenty. If you do the job your self do it right wires cables Bk line if you dont have one get a HD service manual. As if you dont put the piece of card board in the BK lever when you remove the crontrols on the right side you'll mess up the Bk switch. Ask your dealer for a list and price for the parts. Then ask his labor time. its up to you. If you like to work on your own bike do it your self but don't Micky Mouse it. You can get any thing to work for a while with duct tape coat hangers wire ties. But its your Life,Bike, and if you go to sell it you will lose money on what you saved on the sh!tty job that was done to save a few bucks. lots of luck.

Last edited by carlo; 07-26-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I don't know if the 883-C is the same as my 06 1200-C. I put the L bars on mine this last Winter. I had to replace "everything" even had to add 4" to all the wires. My total cost for parts was just under $300 I did all the labor. I did save my old grips. I could have got by with 2" on the wires if I pulled them tight but I got a plug in wire kit that came with 4" so I put the wires back in to stock position. On average I was 4" over stock on everything. I think I could have got by with 2" on the throttle cables, and 3" on the clutch and brake. If I remember right the clutch cable was the most expensive part. I got the bars at the HD dealer for around $70.
I fond it to be a lot of work and most of the time didn't enjoy doing it. If I had the $ to pay to have it done I would, but another $300 for labor may be a little high. Some people would like doing this kind of work on there bike, I'm not one of them. One thing I really do like that I did this myself is I know how all the wires work under the gas tank now... Good luck.
100% on this advice Done the right way yes 883C 1200C same

Quick Reply: 883c bars to 883l bars