Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 AM
The Communist
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and Oil filter?

I know...it's another oil thread, but I just couldn't find the thread I was looking for with the search tool.

I just want to know what inexpensive oil filter is out there that I can use. As well as What's a good oil for the heat of this summer? I'm down here in Central Florida. I remember reading SAE 60? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Communist
I know...it's another oil thread, but I just couldn't find the thread I was looking for with the search tool.

I just want to know what inexpensive oil filter is out there that I can use. As well as What's a good oil for the heat of this summer? I'm down here in Central Florida. I remember reading SAE 60? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
I assume you're rested up from that nice coast to coast run you made now. *grin*

Follow what the owner's manual says on oil. Unless your bike is a worn out piece of crap, or you want it to be, don't go dinking around with other grades of oil. (Sorry, that's the engineer in me - there is a LOT of science that goes into oil selection and there are a LOT of reasons behind the recommended oil) Stick with what the manual says. (20W50, I think)

Synthetic oil will keep the engine cooler and hold up to heat better. Or, you can run an oil cooler.

You don't need to use any particular brand, either. Some people jump up and down screaming "Motorcycle oil only or you'll burn in hell" No need, just change the oil regularly and you'll be golden.

About the oil filter, that's something you don't want to go cheap on. Over the years, I've used the cheap filters and I've had more than my share fall apart. I haven't researched who makes good filters for our bikes yet, but I just pay the $8 for one at the dealership since I'm there anyways for the gaskets on the primary.

Oh, and just because I think it looks cool, not because I'm being an ***...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM
The Communist
Cruiser

Thanks Bacon Grease!!

Yeah, I've been running mobil 1 synthetic 20w-50 in my sporty.

I'm looking for a short excursion now since my girlfriend will be joining me and not sure how she'll hold up on the passenger seat. But she loves to ride!!

Probably down to the keys or something or up to northern Georgia

Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I won't get into the oil debate, but when it comes to filters, your EVO motor is designed to use a 30 micon filter. Many popular (high priced) filters are in the 5-10 micron range and are not suitable for use on a EVO motor. They will go into bypass mode, which is like having no filter at all.

HD's filters are made by Champion, meet the spec for an EVO, and are good quality. I run HD's p/n 83813-90T filter which is Chrome and about 50% longer ( 50% more filter area and media) than the stock Sporty filter. It runs ~$9.00 at the dealer.

BTW: I learned about the use of this filter from OldFenderGuy.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I won't get into the oil debate, but when it comes to filters, your EVO motor is designed to use a 30 micon filter. Many popular (high priced) filters are in the 5-10 micron range and are not suitable for use on a EVO motor. They will go into bypass mode, which is like having no filter at all.
Exactly...

Use either the 63796-77A if you want the 'stock' length filter, or the 63813-90T if you want a longer filter which will provide additional cooling and give you a slightly increased oil capacity...

The '30 micron' filters were designed for EVO based engines, and have been used in both Big Twin and Sportster based engines for years.

Then Harley came out with the 10 micron, and even 5 micron filters for the Twin Cam engines, and started recommending them (for some reason) to be used in the Sportster EVO's... Most people I know (including Harley dealership mechanics) won't even use the 5 and 10 mic filters in Twin Cam engines, let alone the EVO's.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

damn, If I was still living in Ft laud, I'd totally meet up with you on a ride .
Oh well. Id go with the 63796 so you keep within your recommended oil limits. theres absolutely no point in having extra oil. it wont do good, it wont do bad (since you have a huge filter to hold the excess, otherwise not good). too little oil is where you find problems.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got to agree wit cHarley & OFG here on the filter. I use the 63813 for the added oil capacity & cooling effects. For the oil, I think it is suppose to be SAE 50 when the ambient air temps stay above 80*s or so, but look in the owner's manual for exact specs for your year, as they may have changed the specs over the years.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually Harley recommends a 60 weight oil if the outside temperature is 80+ degrees, almost most owners feel that they get enough protection with a good quality 50 weight fluid (such as 20W50, etc.)...

Most guys I know with very high mileage Harley's (even here in the lower midwest where 100+ temperatures are common during the summer) use regular $4.25 a quart synthetic Mobil 1 15W50 'gold or silver cap' oil.

Even UOA's show that Mobil 1 15W50 provides protection in air cooled engines that is almost identical to the high dollar 'motorcycle specific oils' from Mobil, Amsoil, and others.

I normally use the Mobil 1 15W50 year round, but I lucked into a super deal on a few cases of RedLine 20W60HD oil.. As most know, RedLine is one of the few true synthetic Ester Based Group 5 oils available, and the 60 weight on the high end meet the Harley recommendation of a 60 weight fluid during extreme heat conditions.

RedLine 20W60HD normally cost $12.50+ a quart, but I was able to get some in case lots for about $7.25 a quart delivered, so I have been using it this summer.

To be honest, I don't notice one bit of difference between using the RedLine 20W60HD and the regular Mobil 1 15W50, and my bike probably doesn't notice one bit a difference either.

Would I pay twice as much for a Mobil 1 or Amsoil motorcycle specific oil over the cost of Mobil 1 15W50? No way, as I would be gaining little (if any) additional protection.

Would I pay three times as much (at normal cost) for the RedLine 20W60HD? Absolutely no way.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM
The Communist
Cruiser

Awesome! Thank you very much. Picked up the "long" oil filter from the dealer and just about to change my oil. Just going to run out to the store to pick up the oil.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Actually Harley recommends a 60 weight oil if the outside temperature is 80+ degrees,
Thanks OFG, as I couldn't remember if it was SAE 50 or 60 weight. Didn't have the manual right in front of me.

Quick Reply: Oil and Oil filter?