Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortshots just ordered !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
JCKOH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortshots just ordered !!!

After much reading, and deliberating a finally orderd vance & hines shortshots, yost power tube, and screaming eagle air cleaner. Parts should be here on Friday afternoon Yahoo!!!
Anyway, if anyone has any last minute tips on any of the above installs I am ALL ears. You folks are great and as always
Many Thanks

Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Shortshots just ordered !!!

JCKOH,

Congratulations on ordering your Stage 1 hardware! Good luck with the install. I can't help you with any tips because I went with SE II's, an S&S AC, and just plain increased jets.

Good luck, you're gonna love that sound and the added "kick"!

Thumper26

Old 05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Jenny8675309
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JCKOH

After much reading, and deliberating a finally orderd vance & hines shortshots, yost power tube, and screaming eagle air cleaner. Parts should be here on Friday afternoon Yahoo!!!
Anyway, if anyone has any last minute tips on any of the above installs I am ALL ears. You folks are great and as always
Many Thanks
How much for the works dude?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you will be very happy with your new toys. Everyone that has the short shots raves about them. Only complaint I've heard is that they were louder than anticipated; if that can be a complaint.

SE AC goes on easy. Get some blue locktite for the header breather bolts. They will have some crusty white locktite on them from the factory. You can brush most of it off without a problem. Just try to keep the little crusties out of the heads.

Carb is simple. A trick I use to get the throttle cables off is to loosen only one of the adjusters all the way. That will give you enough play to get that cable off the carb. From there the other one will be simple to remove. That makes reassembly faster since you only have to adjust one cable. Also, make sure you get a good seal on the rubber boot between the carb and intake. It can get pinched and create an intake leak - bad. Put it over the lip of the manifold first, then push the carb on and try to look all around and feel to make sure its not pinched. Its hard to see at the bottom without a tiny dentist mirror. DIY section has a couple more tips too.

I did slip-ons so don't have any advice for the pipes except to use caution with the header bolts. If you can do it, use heat or run the bike for a bit to get the bolts hot. That'll help loosen the locktite and lessen the chance of breaking a bolt.

Post pics and results! Good luck.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 AM
JCKOH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips, unfortunatly my pipes did not make ups today so i will have to wait until tuesday, major bummer. I will surely post pictures and update resaults nextt week you guys are great!! thank you. I hope maybe I can meet up with some of you all and go on a ride someday!
Be Careful and ride safe over the weekend!!