Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejet required with new mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rejet required with new mufflers?

A friend just changed his stock 1200C with a K&N air filter and Cycle Shack slip-ons. Anyone have a jetting recommendation until he can get it dyno'd (after break-in). I'm not that familiar with the newer Sportys, but I know that when using an S&S carb (the only one I'll use), the main jet would have to be bumped up a size. Not sure about the stock HD carbs. These are the only changes he's made so far.

Thank!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rejet required with new mufflers?

The best thing you can do is to read the DIY Fuel Carb section on carb jetting, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spectrexx

A friend just changed his stock 1200C with a K&N air filter and Cycle Shack slip-ons. Anyone have a jetting recommendation until he can get it dyno'd (after break-in).
Are there any current conditions to indicate the bike is running too lean?

If not (and I'm probably in the minority), but I wouldn't make "blind changes" to the carb or jetting without putting it on a dyno, or at least hooking up gauges to verify the A/F ratio.

Myself, I would just run it for a while at various RPM ranges and then pull the plugs and check the color (do a plug reading).

Many conditions can be corrected by just fine tuning the carb, without the need to start messing around with jets.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

Thanks for the info. From the factory, they ALL run a bit lean. That's a fact. I'm thinking that without opening up the air inlet more, then the pipes shouldn't make much of a difference. I'll just stick with the manual for tuning until I can throw an AFR meter on it. I know how to set jetting the proper (manual) way... done it a thousand times at least. I was just hoping someone here could save us a little time. I've been building HDs for almost 30 years, but just not familiar with these new ones with all that high-tech BS on them. I prefer a more simple design like the older machines had... much more reliable.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a guy at cycleshack today and asked if I would need to rejet with their slipons and he said each bike is different. Something funny though,when I went to a site to look at them they had four bike pictures with each model of pipe and what was so funny was each bikes exhaust pipe was burned and blued. I guess they didnt bother to rejet either.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Single walled chrome pipes are going to blue, even with the A/F ratio optimized.

Might not 'blue' as quickly, but it will still happen.

Back in the 70's most of the guys I was associated with were running Pan's and Shovel's, and I believe that was before the time of "heat shields" and "double walled" pipes. Just regular ole single wall pipes, with sometime less than perfect chrome plating.

I forget what it was called, but back then you could purchase a product to pour inside pipes to coat them, kind of like a 'liquid ceramic internal coating'. It would help with the blueing, and it might not be as severe, but it will happen sooner or later, even with a bike in perfect tune.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

The pipes that were burned were the Harley part of the exhaust and not the slipons.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

I have always like the look of blued pipes. Kinda adds a nice touch, especially if you have a blue bike.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
humpyy57
Tourer

What is it going to hurt if no re jet Dealer says to do it but I changed my mufflers to cycleshack and have ridden it nearly 1000 miles since this weekend cant really tell any differance except in sound .Bike still runs great and mpg went up a couple of miles

Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a 46 or 48 Low side jet and a 185 main. With the proper adjustment of the low speed carb and idle screws you will "probably" be very close. I have a 05 1200 R with the same A/C and exhaust. I am at 2000 ft. altitude with very low humidity and very high air temps. Your situation and engine may vary some.

Be very careful on your plug reading technique. The low lead gasoline and 'funny' additives we have now make plug reading very difficulte. Use a magnifying glass to look at the plug's white porcelin tips to watch for erosion. Any sign of erosion, your engine is too lean. .......... BC

Let us know by a future post how it works out for you..........

Quick Reply: Rejet required with new mufflers?