Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hnadlebar Vibes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Lilman463
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hnadlebar Vibes

Any help would be great. Has anyone done the "old" trick of pouring some lead shot into your bars to get rid of the vibes lately? My 98 883, gets really gnarly up past 70, not that I go much faster then that anyhow. The bike came w/a Carlini Drag bar on it. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

Would that still work? Im pretty sure handlebars now come with a lot of wiring and stuff inside of them.. then again you have a 98 so I have no idea.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman463
Any help would be great. Has anyone done the "old" trick of pouring some lead shot into your bars to get rid of the vibes lately? My 98 883, gets really gnarly up past 70, not that I go much faster then that anyhow. The bike came w/a Carlini Drag bar on it. Thanks!
I've done the roll of nickels thing with decent results - but with inflation the way it is, you might need to use quarters.

Seriously, though... Slipping some weight into the ends of the bars will change their resonant frequency and that might help take some of the buzz out. If you have internal wires, you will need to consider their routing when adding weight.

Here's a product that some people seem to like, but I have no experience with them.
http://www.barsnake.com/

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you been riding for? It used to bother me, but the more I rode the less I noticed.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Lilman463
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. My wires are inside, I have no mirrors/gauges. Bare bones.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
humpyy57
Tourer

Recently someone posted that they filled their handlebars with Great Stuff expanding foam sealant with good results.Try a search

Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For about a little less than $100.00, I bought and installed a set of Vibranators, putting one in each end of the handlebar on my mostly stock 1999 XL883. (Stage 1 stuff you know, A SE Ignition Module and a SE Air Cleaner and a RB Racing 2 into 1 Exhaust pipe along with the addition of a 30 Tooth Transmission pulley) They do seem to work well. At idle I can see and hear that the vibrations in the handlebar are much reduced and on the road I can really tell the difference. The buzz in the mirrors at all speeds, especially at highway speeds, is greatly reduced as is the buzzing in my hands. I would normally shift long before the Rev Limiter kicked in because of the increases in vibrations through the handlebar, but not now. I can now increase the time between shifts because the vibrations are not so intense. It will NOT completely and totally eliminate 100% of all of the vibrations in the handlebar, and they do not claim to either, but it did do a very good job of REDUCING them quite a bit I must say. I have already ordered another set to go into my 2007 XL883 to see how they will work out there. I have not tried the Bar Snake products so I can not comment on it other than to say it is about half the cost of the Vibranators. I also have not tried to put weights, like a role of nickels or liquid nails or expanding foam into my handlebar either so I do not know if that will actually help as much as the Vibranators do. Also, if you ever want to take them out to, say, put them into another motorcycle, I think that they would be much easer to remove than any expanding foam or liquid nails or the liquid version of the Bar Snake as that stuff is, more or less, a permanent kind of deal and I don’t know how hard it would be to remove the original, solid version of the Bar Snake either, or if it even can be removed. In the end, it’s your bike though, so try out whatever you want to use on it and let us know how well it worked out for you so we can all get some new ideas going on in here. By the way, I am just another rider sharing my experience with someone who asked a question. I have nothing to do with the product that I bought so I really don’t have a dog in the fight so to speak. Just sayin…

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention Vibranators. I just ordered a set this week and they should be here tomorrow. I have two questions for you. How hard are they to install? Do you have to take the grips completely off, or can you just take off the end caps? And I do have wiring inside the bars, will that be an issue? Ok, that's actually three questions.

Shakey

Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How hard are they to install?

They are VERY simple to install. You just need one Allen Wrench to tighten up one screw in each of the two units that come in the one set.

Do you have to take the grips completely off, or can you just take off the end caps?

You do not have to take the handlebar grips off at all. I cut the very end of the handle grip a little bit so that I could peel it up and make an opening large enough to insert one unit into each end of the handlebar. After I tightened each unit up I used a little glue to close the matieral back up almost like new.

I do have wiring inside the bars, will that be an issue?

If you have some space from about the very end of the handlebar to about 5 inches up inside the handlebar you should be good to go.