Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked the Iron

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
tmathers
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's good to hear you survived! I agree with all of the comments above about riding skill and the grace of God.

Think about hiring an attorney. I got hit on my custom VROD on a Los Angeles freeway year before last. Like others have said insurance companies will do the minimum they can get away with. Thanks to my attorney I got medical bills paid, the bike fixed with all new parts, including frame, new custom paint, and a cash settlement.

Also don't be too quick to sign off on any agreement with insurance companies. They will definitely low ball right off the bat. In my case it took over a year to get to the final agreement but my bike is as good as it was before the "lady" crashed into me while talking on her cell phone.

Well that's my 2 cents worth; I hope this goes well for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
2burnt
Intermediate

I am really glad you are alive. I had gone down pretty hard many years ago, and it took me a while to realize haw lucky I was to finally recover. At the time, I had my bike fixed up and it ran pretty good till I wanted a bigger one.

+1 on the attorney.

+100 on using a helmet.

Great reflexes.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GymRat523
I laid down my 05 883 in 2005 at about the same speed, $4800 in damage but they fixed it, be prepared to wait 3 or 4 months for the gas tank replacement, glad you are ok.
I got pushed off the freeway a couple months back on my 883. about $5K in damage but they didn't call it totaled. Took about 7 weeks to get the tank replaced and painted. They had told me up to 3 months. As for all the new parts...Bike runs as good as new now. Looks as good too. Don't worry about fixin it. It'll run just fine. Just make sure you check it out REALLY GOOD and get it back to the shop for anything they missed while the insurance company's still on the hook for the fixes.

BTW, nice job making it through the accident!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad you made it out fine. Like everyone said, forget the motorcycle and thank God that you can sit here and type this story rather than us reading about it on the newspaper.

Make sure you get completely checked out with MRIs and everything. Sometimes those type of injuries do not show up until later.

I am not sure if you had GAP insurance but I did purchase that when I bought my motorcycle. You should definetely get an attorney only to make things right.

I live in the Woodlands as well and I went for a ride after it had stopped raining and the pavement was dry. I am glad you are safe.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your okay. I pray I have the guts to lay my down if I'm ever in a similar situation.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to her your alright. Her insurance should cover it all and you'll be back on the road again.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
I do not know why nobody has said this. I commend you on laying that bike down and going under the truck. Good thinking! You dodged the bullet there, lucky to be alive. Screw the bike, get down on your knees and thank GOD you are able to write this thread.
Everything else will work itself out.

once again, good job!
couldn't agree more I would take it to heart

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wrecked mine last year high siding at 70. bike was totalled. i bought it back and rebuilt it myself.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

First, as many above have said, congrats on being able to walk away from what could have been real ugly. Seeing your ride all messed up can be sickening, but it can be fixed or replaced.

To all you folks that are congratulating the OP on his ability to "lay the bike down", you either need to work on your understanding of advanced riding skills, or your reading skills.

High Siding a bike is not a riding skill one works to learn or achieve. It's the result of something going very wrong, often, the rider panicking, improper braking, and loosing control of the bike. Ya never want to go down in front of the bike.

Originally Posted by Texas Iron
Well she was definitly goin to come over to the shoulder on my side so I turned into the oncoming lane and hit the brakes and high sided. I slid under her rear bumper and straight through while the bike followed me.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends On your Insurance Co and who writes up the damage ticket. Bring the Bike to who will give you the best numbers. Go to your selling Dealer Yes you should get full replacement if totaled Sales tax freight prep and reg costs. You only had the bike 3 weeks with a 1000k miles . Don't talk about this any more get a Lawer. Hope your ok but get yourself checked out real good. Don't let the insurance co get you to settle real fast take your time. Don't talk to any one get a Lawer. Hope you got a Police report. You should also get your money for your damaged gear. Helmet jacket. Don't let your self get F**KED over. Lots of luck

Last edited by carlo; 07-21-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the Iron