Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H short shot exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H short shot exhaust

I have a 07 nightster and i have everything stock. If i buy vance and hines short shot exhaust and put it on the bike MUST i get a power programmer and new air cleaner? I was j/w if i HAVE to when i update the exhaust or will it hurt the motor of the bike if i don`t update everything? Thanks i`m all new to this

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
PAsportster
Tourer

when only changing pipes You dont need a remap , its when you change the intake thats when you will need a remap ... Search button ..

Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Newgene
Advanced

Originally Posted by PAsportster
when only changing pipes You dont need a remap , its when you change the intake thats when you will need a remap ... Search button ..
But the funny thing is no matter how many times this question has been answered, you get the guys who come and throw out the advice to remap and change the air cleaner. Heck, most tuners don't even have a map for a bike with the stock A/C. And a large chunk of people don't change out exhaust for performance. So, that leaves the age old question of needing to remap/AC when you add the pipes.

It quickly turns a $400-$500 project into a $1000. Kinda tough when all you want is some better sound.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:20 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangderek22
I have a 07 nightster and i have everything stock. If i buy vance and hines short shot exhaust and put it on the bike MUST i get a power programmer and new air cleaner? I was j/w if i HAVE to when i update the exhaust or will it hurt the motor of the bike if i don`t update everything? Thanks i`m all new to this
No !

Charlie D.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's funny is everyone saying their dealer tells them they have to change out the a/c and do a remap when changing the exhaust. My dealer told me that if I wanted to slap new slip ons on my bike that it would be fine, but if I got a whole new system like V&H that they recomend to do the full stage one to get better performance and the most out of bike, but it was not 100% necessary. I have actually heard this from 2 or 3 dealers around here. But good look getting anything covered by warranty when you don't do something they recomend!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate

when i put the v&h short shots on can i stil put forward controls on..or will the exhaust be in the way?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. You can still have the forward controls. Search on here or google for some pics of nightsters with short shots. The majority will have forward controls. The short shots run behind the forward control as apposed to in front like the stock headers.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate

i`m trying not to beat this to dealth..but i was doing some searching on the net about just puttin on v & h side shots (not slips ons) and people are saying it isn`t good for the bike at all? has anyone just did a whole exhaust system and thats it with no problems with the motor or anything? my biggest concern is not to hurt the bike until i get money to do the ac and fuel pack.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
cdaxj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only slipons (v&h) - not a full replacement system - with no PC or AC, and I have not had any problems claiming warranty at the dealer, though it's only been in once for warranty claims.

Oh and it runs and sounds super.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM
stng_96
Road Master

I have a buddy that has been running just the short shot, with no supporting mods for over a year, with no troubles. Is it a good idea to do the other things, sure, is it necessary, no.

Quick Reply: V&H short shot exhaust