Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H short shot exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mustangderek22
i`m trying not to beat this to dealth..but i was doing some searching on the net about just puttin on v & h side shots (not slips ons) and people are saying it isn`t good for the bike at all? has anyone just did a whole exhaust system and thats it with no problems with the motor or anything? my biggest concern is not to hurt the bike until i get money to do the ac and fuel pack.
If you are this worried about whether it will run right, then just wait and save until you have enough money to buy all 3 parts at once and have it all done at once. The bike will run lean when just putting on the full exhaust, and its hard to tell when the harsh effects of running with lean conditons will show up from just driving it under normal conditions (not hot rod racing it). They might show up way after the warranty has expired or you have moved on to other bikes (making it someone else's problem).

Old 07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i guess i will gather some money up for everything so i dont kick myself in the a$$ for not doing it right. what all do i need?....v&h short shots and a different air intake and a v&h fuel pack..is that all? and last any good website or places to buy this stuff at a good price? thanks for all the help!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Nonstop
Tourer

I've been running JUST the pipes for 2 seasons now...no problems.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
fox4
Road Master

yea i guess i will gather some money up for everything so i dont kick myself in the a$$ for not doing it right. what all do i need?....v&h short shots and a different air intake and a v&h fuel pack..is that all? and last any good website or places to buy this stuff at a good price? thanks for all the help!
Those 3 things that you listed will be all. Ebay is a great place to start the search. As far as actual online stores go, Rideshack is pretty cheap and so is https://www.mandmcycles.com/. MandM actually has some of the cheapest prices I have ever seen. I ordered my pipes off ebay, my fuel pack off Rideshack, and then just got the SE a/c from my local dealer on a day that they had 20% off everything in the store (except bikes). If you want to save green do a lot of homework and if you want to order everything from one place, ask about price matching. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Newgene
Advanced

Originally Posted by fox4
If you are this worried about whether it will run right, then just wait and save until you have enough money to buy all 3 parts at once and have it all done at once. The bike will run lean when just putting on the full exhaust, and its hard to tell when the harsh effects of running with lean conditons will show up from just driving it under normal conditions (not hot rod racing it). They might show up way after the warranty has expired or you have moved on to other bikes (making it someone else's problem).
Actually, that's not what he's getting at. Sure, you can change the A/C and get a canned remap for the bike, but he's asking for anecdotal evidence if you can run just exhaust without the remap. Of course he knows he can go the conservative route and make the bike run very rich. I personally don't plan to do that, and I will be changing the full exhaust out on my 08 fatboy in the next few weeks.

Here's my reasoning. I like the way the bike runs now. If I run it leaner, it could run hotter; it could run closer to a/f ratio that causes detonation, but this is no different than any other internal combustion engine. It could also run stronger and with better fuel economy with more air flow. However, I am in the group of people who believe that just changing out the exhaust will not throw these bikes over the edge. The other side is that people are going out and adding high flow air cleaners when they don't need them, and then they are running rich conditions that are hurting fuel economy by somewhere around 10%? Why do that if you don't have to. If I add an improved air cleaner, I want it to be for power, and not just because it "needs to be done." If running a louder exhaust means you automatically need to remap the bike, you would see a lot more tuners and programmers available with a new map for a bike with just exhaust. Heck, I don't believe any of them offer a map unless you change the A/C. Maybe the do, but just don't see many of them.

There are several ways to get an indication that you will need to do something from a lean condition. You can and should pull the plugs before and after you install the exhaust to compare changes to a base case. You don't have to be a plug reading expert to see if you have a noticeable difference in the conditions. Second, you can listen for chatter due to detonation. It won't just sneak up on you. You will get some under light acceleration before you go wide open throttle. Last, you can run a higher octane fuel. I'm not saying to go out and run a race gas. I'm talking about making sure you go to a station that can trust will give you a "fresh" 93 octane, instead of going to cheap guy up the street who sells 91 octane that may have been sitting there flashing and separating in a tank for a while. Effectively, there could be 2-3 octane rating between the two. This will definitely be more noticeable toward a lean condition that just changing exhaust.

And on top of all that, if you get an anecdotal representative sample from 100 boards members who say they never had a problem with just an exhaust change, apply some statistics and assumptions to it. Although I'm a mechanical engineer, I think common sense goes further than engineering knowledge.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My bike has SE slip on's from the first owner and they did do a flash on my bike to re-map the fuel, but for the most part you are fine with the stock fuel map if you just do the pipes.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
mustangderek22
Intermediate

thanks for all he help. i found this whole used kit on the internet for sale will all this stuff work for my 07 nightster?

Vance & Hines Shortshots staggered exhaust pipes (P/N 17219), Screaming Eagle Stage I air cleaner kit (P/N 29782-07), and Power Commander III electronic control unit (P/N 817-511). Fits '07 & '08 Harley Davidson XL-1200 Sportster. Used one year on my '07 XL-1200 Sportster. All installation parts, components and instructions provided. Complete package to make your Sporty bad *** loud.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate

this power commander that comes with this whole thing is that like a remap? will all this stuff run good on my bike with no problems like remapping or anything?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
fox4
Road Master

thanks for all he help. i found this whole used kit on the internet for sale will all this stuff work for my 07 nightster?

Vance & Hines Shortshots staggered exhaust pipes (P/N 17219), Screaming Eagle Stage I air cleaner kit (P/N 29782-07), and Power Commander III electronic control unit (P/N 817-511). Fits '07 & '08 Harley Davidson XL-1200 Sportster. Used one year on my '07 XL-1200 Sportster. All installation parts, components and instructions provided. Complete package to make your Sporty bad *** loud.
All of that will work, and yes the Power Commander III electronic contorler is an air fuel controler that sits before your ecu and adds or takes away a certain percentage of fuel based on whatever settings you have entered on it. It is a piggy back system that is used instead of getting the remap. This way in the future instead of paying to have another download you just have to adjust the settings on the Power Commander.

I might add that the Power Commander III is an older version. The PC V would be newest version.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
mustangderek22
Intermediate

ok thats all i need to know. the guys is asking $420 for all of it..and it`s all like brand new. he said he only had it on for 1 year so it sounds like a good deal. thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: V&H short shot exhaust