Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can oil be too cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can oil be too cool?

I'm thinking about adding an oil cooler for my Sportster, but some riders have said that there might be problems if the temp is too low. Since I'm not a bike expert, I thought I'd bring it to you guys. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, i say do it.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Simon UK
Tourer

I guess the fact that you are thinking of adding an oil cooler indicates that you think that you currently have problems with the oil being too hot. That being the case, go ahead and add one. If you're not having problems, don't bother. I am a strong believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try an oil temp dipstick first to see if you need and oil cooler (it's a lot cheaper). The question of can the oil be too cool applies to running in cold weather. The answer there is yes. Colder engine and oil temps can cause condenstion in the oil. Different oil weight can be used to keep the oil temp up and Harley reccomends oil changes at 1k when running in cold weather. Not so much a problem if you run long enough trips to get the engine up to temp.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman67
Try an oil temp dipstick first to see if you need and oil cooler (it's a lot cheaper). The question of can the oil be too cool applies to running in cold weather. The answer there is yes. Colder engine and oil temps can cause condenstion in the oil. Different oil weight can be used to keep the oil temp up and Harley reccomends oil changes at 1k when running in cold weather. Not so much a problem if you run long enough trips to get the engine up to temp.
+1 Get the "Analog" dipstick so you can put a number on "Hot". If your running a good synthetic oil, unless the oil temp is frequently hitting 240*, there really is no need for a cooler. Since oil coolers require 'air flow" to really work, they won't do much if your sitting in stop & go traffic.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Can oil be too cold? The answer is yes. Colder temperatures effect how oil flows. That is why oil is made in different weights. eg....5 to 30 weight. In colder climates, you would run say a 10W or possibly a 5W because the oil is thinner and will flow better at cooler temps, compared to 20W which is thicker (ideal for hotter climates). As far as an oil cooler is concerned....they don't actually make the oil cold to the point of restricting oil flow. They simply work like a radiator by circulating (hot) oil from the motor through passages/cells which are cooled by air passing over the (radiator) cooling fins. Then the oil is fed back through the motor again, where the entire process is repeated all over again.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 PM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire4Effect
I'm thinking about adding an oil cooler for my Sportster, but some riders have said that there might be problems if the temp is too low. Since I'm not a bike expert, I thought I'd bring it to you guys. Thanks.
Get a thermostatically controlled oil cooler..the oil dosnt circulate thru them below a certain temp...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

I have the thermostat on the dipstick and right now the temps never seem to get above 220. I haven't been in extended traffic, though. I'm thinking long-term benefits like reducing oil breakdown and general engine health.

Bike week in Daytona may be the ultimate challenge. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks on my terms than several hundred on a mechanic's.

Living in Florida, I won't really have any cold weather issues. I just want to know if a cooler oil temp could do any damage.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the thermostat on the dipstick and right now the temps never seem to get above 220. I haven't been in extended traffic, though. I'm thinking long-term benefits like reducing oil breakdown and general engine health.

Bike week in Daytona may be the ultimate challenge. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks on my terms than several hundred on a mechanic's.

Living in Florida, I won't really have any cold weather issues. I just want to know if a cooler oil temp could do any damage.
In Florida, no. Cooler oil is always better as that plus the air moving across the engine is the only thing cooling the engine. 220 should not be a problem though as long as you keep up on the oil changes. Although, last time I visited Florida you guys had record cold temps. Disney at 30 degrees aint much fun. Spend a load of extra cash on sweats and gloves. But spending new years eve at Disney was worth braving the cold. We/re used to it in St. Louis, but we weren't prepared for it in FLA.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Like I said before, if you're not going above 240 you're fine and an oil cooler isn't going to do much idling along Main Street in Daytona with no air flow.

Your oil needs to run at a temp of 180+ degrees to get rid of moisture that accumulates in the oil tank.

Quick Reply: Can oil be too cool?