Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small bits of magnet in my Tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 AM
bett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small bits of magnet in my Tranny...

Hi Everyone, First post here. I threw this out on another forum. Lots of views, but no takers. Great group over there (HDTalking) but not as active as you guys. Thanks for any thoughts you might have. I started having charging issues with my 96' 1200. All my poking about pointed to a grounded stator. So yesterday I pulled off the primary cover, and dug in. When I got the rotor off I found one of the magnets was stuck to the stator. Then I saw that all the magnets were "floating";. In other words they were no longer attached to the rotor, but only held there by there own magnetism, and I was able to pull them off pretty easily with a screwdriver. So now there are all these little chips of ground-up magnet drifting around in there. I'll take care to get all I can out, but I'm not really looking forward to pulling the tranny to clean that. Both drive, and clutch sprockets look great for a 50k. bike. Chain looks good too. I was really quite surprised actually given the mileage how good it looks in there. So heres the question. I'm thinking I'll toss it back together with a new rotor, and stator after cleaning out all I can. I know there will be some small bits floating around in there as I can't reach back into the tranny. but the magnets are soft, and the sprockets and tranny gears are hardened. I'll change the oil every couple weeks till it starts to come out clean and call it good. Any thoughts from you with more experience than me? Thanks. It's cool to have a place to bring a problem like this. Roger

Last edited by bett; 07-18-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Couldn't?!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:39 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good plan to me. The drain plug for the tranny fluid is a magnet, so I would think it will collect any remaining pieces pretty quickly.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 AM
bett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks P-R, Yeah, that drain plug was covered when I drained the oil, and the oil was pretty dark for having changed it not that long ago. I guess that should have been a red flag, but it was quickly forgotten after seeing the condition of the rest of it. I was pretty happy to see how good everything else looked in there for being a 12 year old scooter with that many miles. Thanks again. Roger