Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Rocker Box Gaskets on a 00' Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It looks to me like there is a bit of confusion here due to people misidentifying, or not clearly identifying, the parts involved.

Starting from the bottom up you have the Cylinder, then the Cylinder Head (often referred to as the rocker box), then the Inner rocker cover, and then the Outer rocker cover.

Accurate part descriptions usually produces better answers.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
dsturch1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you are right....

this is where the leak is coming from...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsturch1
Sounds to me like you are right....

this is where the leak is coming from...

Do not touch the head bolts.

Just remove the bolts that hold the rocker box assy on. Make sure you rotate the crankshaft until both valve are closed before removing the bolts. Do one head at a time then move to the second head and make sure the valves are closed too.

Just make sure the pushrods are seated in the rocker arms before tighting the 5/16 bolts down first.

5/16" bolts are torque to 15-18 ft-lbs

1/4" bolts are torque to 10-13 ft-lbs

Piece of cake

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cHarley
It looks to me like there is a bit of confusion here due to people misidentifying, or not clearly identifying, the parts involved.

Starting from the bottom up you have the Cylinder, then the Cylinder Head (often referred to as the rocker box), then the Inner rocker cover, and then the Outer rocker cover.

Accurate part descriptions usually produces better answers.
Well then lets start at the case's, base gasket, cylinder, head gasket, head, gasket, lower rocker arm cover, gasket, middle rocker cover, gasket and upper rocker cover

Last edited by RacingJake; 07-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJake
Do not touch the head bolts.

Just remove the bolts that hold the rocker box assy on. Make sure you rotate the crankshaft until both valve are closed before removing the bolts. Do one head at a time then move to the second head and make sure the valves are closed too.

Just make sure the pushrods are seated in the rocker arms before tighting the 5/16 bolts down first.

5/16" bolts are torque to 15-18 ft-lbs

1/4" bolts are torque to 10-13 ft-lbs

Piece of cake
+1 - The best I can see, it's the inner rocker to cylinder head gasket.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
dsturch1
6th Gear

Thanks guys! Got the gasket...the new rubber coated metal one for 6 bucks at the dealer...going to go have at it and hope this all goes as planned lol.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
dsturch1
6th Gear

can someone just go through how to make sure the valves are both closed prior to me doing this? I dont want to mess anything up and would rather do it right the first time.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to make sure both valves are closed, you want to take your sparkplugs out to releive all compression on the pistons......Then work the bike into 5th gear by rocking it back and forth while shifting, then you can roll the bike in gear and watch the rocker arms, and basically just roll the bike till you find the point where both valves are at their highest point together,, and vise versa if you look at the pushrod side of the rocker arms they'll be at their lowest point. Even when doing this there will ussually be some slight pressure on the rocker arms due to the hydrolic tappets, so any time i'll loosen the bolts on the lower rocker box i'll do so evenly over all the bolts maybe a half turn at a time, so any spring pressure doesn't **** rocker box at a funny angle. And like I said earlier, once you have yout bolts out, your gonna wanna wiggle the rocker around a little so you can pull the pushrods out, or it'll be pretty tricky to pull the rocker box out if you leave the pushrods in. By the way, even if you don't get your valves at just the right possition, you can still take the rocker off, but you'll just have to be extra carefull as you loosen the bolts up as there'll be some pressure on the rockers so you'll want to loosen all the bolts evenly so the rocker doesn't tilt.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
dsturch1
6th Gear

Drum thanks a ton...just before I go ahead and yank all this **** off....Just making sure that the only bolts I have to mess with are the ones circled in red in the following pictures correct?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

There are 5 total.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rocker Box Gaskets on a 00' Sportster?