Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this worry you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Chevync20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this worry you?

I finally found my first bike but one probelm has me worried. Its a 2005 Sportster 1200 custom with 6400 miles. It had its 5000 mile service done at 5200, but the problem is that was in 2006 and hasnt had the oil changed since. He said he pulls it out of the garage a couple times a month and lets it run but due to an injury to his achilles he hast ridden the bike but a couple times over the last year. Should this worry me? It seems to run and idle good but oil sitting in there that long cause any premature cylinder, valve train or seal leak due to this? The bike we agreed at 5500 and the bike has a set of custom tins, orange/black two tone which I really like, really gives me that Harley feel. I dont know what to do

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely change out all the fluids before riding the bike very much. I would also look into getting a battery charger or a new battery too, if he hasn't had the battery hooked up to a trickle charger while it has been sitting. You can ride it home with out changing, but I would do it asap. If he has started it up a couple times a month then I wouldn't forsee any type of seal problems. You might just take it in and have another "5000 mile service" so that way some of the gaskets are replaced too.

See about negotiating the seller fixing any problem that may have arised from it sitting there for so long. Or ask him to let you take it to the dealer and he pay to have it inspected/serviced.

I really wouldn't worry too much because its not like it has sat there without ever running for 3 years. Then you would worry.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior

Buy it! That's a good deal, oil and gaskets are easy to replace. Just take her home and replace all of the fluids, no biggie whatsoever.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
Definitely change out all the fluids before riding the bike very much. I would also look into getting a battery charger or a new battery too, if he hasn't had the battery hooked up to a trickle charger while it has been sitting. You can ride it home with out changing, but I would do it asap. If he has started it up a couple times a month then I wouldn't forsee any type of seal problems. You might just take it in and have another "5000 mile service" so that way some of the gaskets are replaced too.

See about negotiating the seller fixing any problem that may have arised from it sitting there for so long. Or ask him to let you take it to the dealer and he pay to have it inspected/serviced.

I really wouldn't worry too much because its not like it has sat there without ever running for 3 years. Then you would worry.
+1

Change all the fluids, check battery and replace if needed, add a battery tender, and put some miles on!!!

Sammi

Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Chevync20
Cruiser

My buddy is a service technician for Harley here in NC, so I already got a guy to take it too and have it checked out. The only problem is the bike is 3 hours away from me so when I go there it will be to pick it up and bring it back its mine. He sent me a few videos of it running and like 200 hundred pics and from the looks alone I was sold on the bike only seen one other Sportster this color and he is a member on here

Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
fox4
Road Master

Well there is always the option of trailering it. You did say this is your first bike? Does this mean that it is going to be your first time riding out on the roads? If that is the case I def recomend trailering it if the ride will be 300 miles to get it home.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Ride that junker home,all the crap will burn out of it on the way

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

I wish i could find something like that! I would jump on that in a heart beat. I would Change all the fluids right there on the spot get some sefoam and put it in the gas and jump on that thing and ride it home. I might have a buddy go that has a truck and a way to put it in the bed if something happened on the way home. Hell if he would pay to have it serviced i would have him take it to the dealer closest to him and just pick it up from there.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good deal! good luck with her. change those fluids, you'll be fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
brosnibean
Intermediate

it's a good deal, i wouldn't worry about it...change the fluids and ride it....but if you are that concerned, send me the guy's info and i'll buy it and check it out for you - of course, there may be a slight mark-up when I sell it

Quick Reply: Would this worry you?