Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Samson Big Guns 3 (do i need a remap of my EFI)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
SteveHarley14
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Samson Big Guns 3 (do i need a remap of my EFI)?

I have a 2007 Sporster 883xl and I recently purchased a set of samson big guns 3 exhaust. Which one of these 3 options would work listed below?

Some people I spoke to said that the computer will automaticall re-map and adjust itself to the new exhaust within 25 miles or riding?

Other people say I should disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and the computer will auto-re-map?

Some people say I should take it to an indy shop and have the software re-mapped?

Also I'm thinking about adding either a K&N air filter, or some type of high-flow intake (any recommendation?)

Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

If you do not add an air filter it should be fine just putting the pipes on. If you add an air filter you will need a remap or some other sort of tuning device.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley goodies is exactly correct. By putting the pipes on you're not changing anything but the sound. If you put on a high velocity air cleaner you're changing the aif,fuel ratio and will need a fuel management system. I reccomend that you do the new intake and fuel management, you might add up to 15% more TQ/HP, ON TOP of a wickedly sounding bike.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
SteveHarley14
Novice

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
If you do not add an air filter it should be fine just putting the pipes on. If you add an air filter you will need a remap or some other sort of tuning device.
Thanks for the quick response! If I leave on the stock filter but install the Samon Big Guns-3 will I notice a power increase vs. the stock exhaust?

Anybody have stats?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM
SteveHarley14
Novice

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Harley goodies is exactly correct. By putting the pipes on you're not changing anything but the sound. If you put on a high velocity air cleaner you're changing the aif,fuel ratio and will need a fuel management system. I reccomend that you do the new intake and fuel management, you might add up to 15% more TQ/HP, ON TOP of a wickedly sounding bike.
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.
Any recommendations on a high velocity air cleaner?
Also is there a specific type of fuel management system / settings?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

By the way, upload some pictures of you/your bike. Spend some time here and get involved. I can't tell you how much there is to learn on this site. You could make some decent friends to ride with and possibly answer somebody else's questions.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
SteveHarley14
Novice

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
By the way, upload some pictures of you/your bike. Spend some time here and get involved. I can't tell you how much there is to learn on this site. You could make some decent friends to ride with and possibly answer somebody else's questions.
Thank you for the updates, I'm really enjoying the site! Looking foward to meeting people and going riding in the future. I will upload some pictures soon!

Any recommends on a high velocity air filter, or fuel system controller? I've got the samson exhaust, just need to get the rest of the goodies to get that extra performance. Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveHarley14
Thank you for the updates, I'm really enjoying the site! Looking foward to meeting people and going riding in the future. I will upload some pictures soon!

Any recommends on a high velocity air filter, or fuel system controller? I've got the samson exhaust, just need to get the rest of the goodies to get that extra performance. Thanks
You're going to have to start using the search feature here. You'll see it in the highlighted stripe at the top of the page. You'll find a lot of answers to questions that you're "about to ask' that other people have already asked and had answered. That being said. There are MANY people here that have used fuelmoto for their air cleaners and fuel management systems, myself included. They are a sponsor of this web-site and you'll be hard pressed to hear anything negative about them. Their customer service is great, and if you buy one from them they can pre-program the fuel management system for your specific build so that you just plug it in and ride. 1-2-3, that simple. And a good, quality product.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 PM
DPFhd883
Tourer

Buy a power commander. WELL worth it.