Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Steve0
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys/gals for all the feedback....So the owner's assistant called me directly and listened to my side of the story and cut me a deal to repaint my rear fender or go in half for a brand new one. Since they have all harley owners winterize their bikes for free, I'll just bring it up near the winter time and have a new coat of paint put on before storage for next year. They also are sending me a new mirror in the mail as we speak along with the promissary note for the new paint job. As far as the peg, exhaust, and footbrake; the scratches were minor and Im upgrading so I'm not too concerned. They helped me out BIG time and said that they will no longer strap down bikes once their out the door. Yes they were rachet and I had six of them puppies tied down. My lesson's learned to DIY so I can't question whether it was the product or the operator that screwed up my investment....btw, I give a big thanks for the Glenview (Chicago) HD dealer. I will always buy my Harleys from there. Free storage, saved $2000 on my 883 Iron, and took some responsibility for this unforeseen circumstance. My hats off to you guys and I'm very appreciative you live up to your core values of the company. Integrity will always keep the Harley Davidson name as true as the great nation it was built upon. Thanks again!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well good, glad it worked out for you. I figured the dealer would want your future business.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove truck for over 10 years and any good truck driver will tell you that he wants to be the one strapping down his load. Never let anyone but yourself strap down any load you will be hauling. Not only may something get damaged but you might hurt some other driver in the process. (I say that due to lawsuits) With that said, I would say that you do not have any legal recourse, however if you go back and explain the situation with a civil tongue, they might just help out. Don't turn anything down like a 50/50 split.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve0
saved $2000 on my 883 Iron
You got the iron for $2000 under msrp?!?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations on getting it sorted out.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 AM
willw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching your post and am happy to hear it turned out so well for you. Congrats.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys/gals for all the feedback....So the owner's assistant called me directly and listened to my side of the story and cut me a deal to repaint my rear fender or go in half for a brand new one. Since they have all harley owners winterize their bikes for free, I'll just bring it up near the winter time and have a new coat of paint put on before storage for next year. They also are sending me a new mirror in the mail as we speak along with the promissary note for the new paint job. As far as the peg, exhaust, and footbrake; the scratches were minor and Im upgrading so I'm not too concerned. They helped me out BIG time and said that they will no longer strap down bikes once their out the door. Yes they were rachet and I had six of them puppies tied down. My lesson's learned to DIY so I can't question whether it was the product or the operator that screwed up my investment....btw, I give a big thanks for the Glenview (Chicago) HD dealer. I will always buy my Harleys from there. Free storage, saved $2000 on my 883 Iron, and took some responsibility for this unforeseen circumstance. My hats off to you guys and I'm very appreciative you live up to your core values of the company. Integrity will always keep the Harley Davidson name as true as the great nation it was built upon. Thanks again!
You may have had six straps, but if the bike was on a flat floor without any blocks or rails to keep the bottom from kicking out sideways, you can expect it to happen again.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I ended up buying an Iron 883 and the dealer had his techs strap down my bike in an enclosed trailer I rented. So I drove about an hour south and opened the doors to find it on its side and damaged. I'm pretty shocked by this so should I confront the dealer about it. My mirror, throttle, peg, midcontrol brake, exhaust, and fenders are damaged. And to top it off the trailer has 2 holes through it.
I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but...

Your bike.
Your trailer.
Your tow vehicle.
Your responsibility to properly secure the load.

In addition to this, a motorcycle in a trailer should have the straps checked about 20 miles after it's strapped down AND at every fuel stop. Bikes like to bounce around on a trailer and it doesn't take much to get the wheels to slide.

Personally, I wouldn't dare ask the dealer to cover the damages. Doing so might or might not get the dealer to cover damages, but it WILL harm your relationship with the dealer and that isn't something you want.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats! And sorry bout posting late, just didnt see the last page. but anyway lets hope there is a lesson learned here. Never let anybody strap your bike down but you. Always make sure the straps compress the shocks (this keeps it from bouncing) and on the rear, I use 2 straps pulling back and to the side to make sure it does not bounce to the side. I have had dirt bikes in the back of my truck and launched the truck about 3 or 4 feet in the air and the bike never moved.

Quick Reply: Dealer at fault?