Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my first harley have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Badass67stang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first harley have some questions

Just got my first harley its a 2005 883 sportster it has screaming eagle II pipes on it i bought it used has 6,000 miles on it.

Im a past crotch rocket guy had a ninja first question is the bike sat for 2 or 3 monthes it starts up fine but if i give it gas before its warmed up it kinda pops threw the carb it was really bad at first but ive ran it about 40 miles and its got better but still does it every once in a while while warming up only if i try to rev it though,do the screaming eagleII pipes require rejetting? could that cause the poping?

2nd question when i shift i can hear it changing gears,on my sport bike i didnt hear anything are harleys just naturally loud from the gear box? its not like a abnormal sound i can just hear it.

what kinda motor oil do you use just standard 10w40?

I didnt get a manual with the bike so sorry for the stupid questions,thanks and this is a great site!

heres a pic i got the bike for 3500 cash

Last edited by Badass67stang; 07-24-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

The "cluncking" of the gears as you shift is what Harley's are known for! As for the popping, could be old gas. Get some good 91 octane in there and see what happens?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the oil use 20w-50 in it. look for a thread by me about mobile 1 synthetic. there is really good info in that thread.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
calebrity
Intermediate

negative on the regular oil - get a good synthetic oil for the engine oil and it is still not just regular motor oil you need motorcyle oil - it is formulated for air cooled engines - i think there aren't detergents as in car oil - check this out for pics on the oil change - http://linson.us/harleydavidson/spor..._oilchange.htm * oh yeah - keep the oil towards the bottom of the dipstick - if you run it at full capacity you will get a lot of blowby which will cover your bike with a nice oil spray

the tranny/primary is different oil and no there isn't any way to check it without taking the derby (clutch inspection) cover off. http://www.harleydavidsonmaintenance...ssion-oil.html

opinions vary on what is the best oil - there is an entire section of this forum devoted to OIL - lots of people use synthetic due to the fact that it is both lube and cooling and that it maintains more constant viscosity.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You really need to have the engine warmed up first before you start trying to feed gas to the carburetor. That is probably the reason why it is popping through the carb. I use the touch method. I pull out the choke (to turn the choke on) don’t touch the throttle and start the engine and after it has been running for a bit I touch my fingers to the rear cylinder head and when it is very warm to the touch I push the choke back in (to turn the choke off) and then I try to use the throttle to see if the engine responds to the gas input and if it responds well then the bike and I are good to go. Buy a service manual. It will come in handy. Trying to ride on a cold engine is the best way that I know of to blow out the cylinder gaskets. If you are trying to give the bike gas and it doesn’t want to take it, then listen to the bike and let it warm up some more. Bikes are like women in that you get a much better ride on them if you warm them up first. Trust me on that! The nose that you hear when shifting is normal for a Harley. Get used to it. As for oil, use 20 / 50 oil. I use Mobile 1 V-Twin oil synthetic in all of my bikes but that is just me. You have a nice looking bike and you got it for a nice price. Be happy and ride safe!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to run some SeaFoam though it.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
calebrity
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calebrity
negative on the regular oil - get a good synthetic oil for the engine oil and it is still not just regular motor oil you need motorcyle oil - it is formulated for air cooled engines - i think there aren't detergents as in car oil -
apparently opinions also vary on the use of automotive oil as well as which brand and about everything else - many people have been doing this longer than I and i am not an oil expert by any means - i guess do your research and go with what you think will be best

Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Badass67stang
Cruiser

Thanks for the info,this sure is diffrent then riding my old ninja i thought maybe i had transmission troubles im glad i converted off the plastic crotch rocket to a harley .

any info on jetting for screaming eagle II ?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Sundog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your bike is running too lean. Check the low-speed screw under the EPA plug. Lot's of good info how at nightrider.com. A good intake/exhaust/jetting combination will make your Sporty much more streetable. Have fun.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need to rejet for pipes alone. If you a add a high flow intake a rejet would be needed.

Quick Reply: Just got my first harley have some questions