Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap That's Loud!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:50 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Crap That's Loud!

Ok... um... just finished installing my Hooker troublemakers (just in time for a rain shower, will take pics as soon as it stops). They're frickin LOUD! I wasn't expecting that when I started it up. I LIKE... but my neighbors are gonna HATE it. Holy crap. I feel sorry for them when I leave in the morning for work. Loud pipes + townhouse development = angry neighbors.

Anyway, they sound outstanding. Exactly the way I wanted them to sound... only louder. I guess I'll be buying the quieter baffles for every day use. The install wasn't bad, but I had a few seized bolts and had to go pick up some liquid wrench. Plus I cracked a craftsman socket in the process. Getting all the holes lined up installing the new pipes was a beotch and I would recommend having a second set of hands around for that part.

I'm going for a ride as soon as the rain stops.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Default RE: Holy Crap That's Loud!

Ok, maybe they're not THAT loud. I went for a ride. They seemed to need me to keep the choke out a bit otherwise it felt like it was gonna stall and would putter a bit starting from a stop. I guess that'll be fixed with an intake and rejet, which I'll eventually do. Any tips for getting them to run smooth for now until I get the dough for that would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: XL Junkie
Here's a pic.
Nice looking pipes for sure.....

But it looks like they sit pretty low, especially the bend in the front pipe. Wonder if there might be any type of 'dragging problems' on extreme right hand turns?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them. Defently considering them as my next pipes. Although i like the scallop cut better, i would imagine the pipes blowing down will ecco off the ground and make it sounds louder though?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:06 AM
XL Junkie
Advanced

I was gonna order the scallops but the guy told me alot of people were complaining that they were catching their legs and slicing their jeans on the pipe because of they way they were cut.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Black Katalyst
Intermediate

HA!!!!

i just installed a set of Troublemaker Fuil Radious Scallop cut on my bike last night. And yes, those puppies are loud.

I'm losing some low end torque, do you have this problem?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

hey XL Junkie--what part of new jersey are you from im in new jersey also..and im always looking for someone to ride with..im in south jersey near atlantic city..

Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Black Katalyst

HA!!!!

i just installed a set of Troublemaker Fuil Radious Scallop cut on my bike last night. And yes, those puppies are loud.

I'm losing some low end torque, do you have this problem?

I am by far a novice at mechanics, so what I say may not make any sense, but... It seems when the choke is in I do lose some low end torque. Starting off the line is kinda slow and it seems to fart a bit. Starting from a stop I have to keep the clutch in more than I used to in order to stop the puttering. With the choke pulled out a bit I seem to get some of that torque back and less puttering. With the choke all the way out I have way more torque than I did stock and the bike seems to pull alot stronger, but the exhaust is loud as all he!! when the trans is in neutral. So I'm guessing that an intake and rejet will fix all this because it sounds like the higher flow exhaust needs the gas/air mixture tuned.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Black Katalyst
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: XL Junkie
I am by far a novice at mechanics, so what I say may not make any sense, but... It seems when the choke is in I do lose some low end torque. Starting off the line is kinda slow and it seems to fart a bit. Starting from a stop I have to keep the clutch in more than I used to in order to stop the puttering. With the choke pulled out a bit I seem to get some of that torque back and less puttering. With the choke all the way out I have way more torque than I did stock and the bike seems to pull alot stronger, but the exhaust is loud as all he!! when the trans is in neutral. So I'm guessing that an intake and rejet will fix all this because it sounds like the higher flow exhaust needs the gas/air mixture tuned.
I find that revving the enigine a bit higher and letting the clutch out slower eliminates the puttering. Also by revving higher, you don't need the choke out and at stops it will idle normally. I mildly rejet my carb while using the stock air intake (didn't have enough time to install my Hypercharger) and I don't have any carb farting at all. So when I do get around to installing it, I'm going to up the jet size and I'll have more air coming in so it will hopfully give me some low end back.

I know that you can buy quieter baffles, but I want to find out if this will cause more back pressure and not loose as much torque. I love the sound, but it is a bit loud.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:34 AM
XL Junkie
Advanced

I ordered the quiet baffles online yesterday. I'll let you know what they're like when they get here.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap That's Loud!