Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!! Iorn want start............????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
akracing1603
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!! Iorn want start............????

hey guyys i got an 09 iron with about 240 miles on it. I was riding it yesterday in stop and go traffic and i think it overheated, i noticed that the bike was pretty hot but since this is the first harley i've owned i didn't think to much of it. Then i was sitting there at idle and the bike died and the red oil light came on, i was in the middle of the highway so i had no choice bad to try and start it to get off the highway, about 1 min. later i was off and i let it cool down for about 45min. to an 1 hour, then i cranked her back up and rode about 40 miles back to my house. I parked it and didn't think anything of it because i didn't have any problems on the way back home, Now today i went outside to crank it up to go on a little ride and she won't start, nothing at all, i turn the key flip on the RUN button wait for the fuel light to go off and when i push the start button nothing happens, and the red oil light is on, but i cant remember if the red light was always on before i start it or not, Any help would be great, thanks in advance

Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your oil level. Red oil light shouldn't be lit when the bike is on and in run position.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 PM
googs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is an Iorn some no name german bike? How do you pronounce it?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
chopfury
Cruiser

take it to the dealer - and yea, check your oil level.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by iron71tike
Check your oil level. Red oil light shouldn't be lit when the bike is on and in run position.

The oil light comes on to indicate that you don't have oil pressure.

If the motor ain't running, you won't have oil pressure and the oil light should be ON.

Situation Normal

Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe check your battery cable connections. Check ground cable also where it attaches the engine.

Does the headlight light up?

Do you hear the fuel pump and IAC at all when you turn the key? If not you could have a faulty "System" relay.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely if you lost all your oil you would have seen some evidence of that. I bet it's something electrical. Either way run it down to the dealer and let them worry about it. Sometimes new bikes have some bugs.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't jump on me but just trying the simple stuff first here. Is it possible it was in gear? the oil light would be on and it wouldnt do anything when you hit the starter, unless you pulled the clutch in.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just make sure you got oil in the bike then call the dealer for warranty service. On a new bike, let the warranty take care of the problem, don't mess with the bike too much on your own beyond checking the basics: battery connections, oil level, any easily accessible wire connectors. A buddy up the street from me has an 08 nightster that did the same thing with red oil light and no start.... and for him it turned out his battery took a crap, it had enough juice just to get everything to light up, but then absolutely nothing with starter, not even a click click. Dealer gave him a new battery under warranty and everything was good. But there's a numer of things you problem could be, so just play it on the safe side and let the warranty take care if it.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 AM
akracing1603
Advanced

thanks alot guys, I fell like a dumb ***, I forgot the night before i put the bike in gear so it would not roll, (parked on a small incline) I forgot all about putting it in netural, just glad its not a major promblem, thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!!! Iorn want start............????