Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Hookers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Hookers

I've had the Rebels on my 08 1200L for about 2 months and yesterday they started to rattle, at least I think its the pipes. Anyone else having having these issues with these pipes? or should I worry about bigger mechanical problems?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I was very tempted to get Hooker Troublemaker pipes for my bike and still think theyre some of the best looking IMHO. However, I read so many horror stories on here about the poor build quality that it put me off them completely even after they significantly reduced the price. I read about them not fitting right, the seals going and even pipes splitting. Do a few searches on here and I'm sure you'll find some of the previous posts on the subject.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser

I think I've isolated the problem. It seems like one of the clamps that holds the heatshield to the pipe itself is warped and shaking real bad. Went out to Autozone and picked up an exhaust clamp to replace the cheap one that came with the pipes. Hopefully it works.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats up with Hooker pipes? Are they always on clearance? Or are they going out of business? Or do they suck so bad that they have to mark them down to unload them. Anyone have any idea?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not manufacturing bike exhaust anymore.

I don't know what the problem is, mine are great. Hooker has been in the auto industy making performance exhaust headers for a long time. The quality is some of the best in the business.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Search the forums and the consensus is that their bike pipes suck.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

I once put some Hooker headers on a 79' Chevy truck. They were fine but what did I know, I was only 18. I always heard good things about them. But I havent heard very many good things about them, except that they look good. I think they do look good. Just seems like they should just bolt on, without having to do any cutting. I guess there is a reason their not being made anymore.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Search the forums and the consensus is that their bike pipes suck.

Well Lordy Lordy the resident sporty professor is here. Damn, well if an internet forum population thinks that then I guess I shouldn't think for myself.

Do you have experience with anything you post about?

I guess if we searched about the NHRS conversion we might get the same impression.........

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks?

I've built enough. And I've never mocked their auto pipes. but their bike pipes seem to be almost fine, till you start to put any power through them. Its pretty sad that even wrapped they go to hell. Out of the 20 bikes I see trying different things cheap is always good and disposable. I did forget to mention: A lot of bikes at the track ran Hookers cause they are a good contingency payer, but when the ends don't justify the means. Then whats the point.

Well if you did search NHRS and went to the XL forum and read it then you would know the years and resolutions. So don't take guesses from what little you know.

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 07-04-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: what i forgot:
Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beanerblank
well lordy lordy the resident sporty professor is here. Damn, well if an internet forum population thinks that then i guess i shouldn't think for myself.

Do you have experience with anything you post about?

I guess if we searched about the nhrs conversion we might get the same impression.........
touchy!

Quick Reply: Problem with Hookers