Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NIGHTSTER PROBLEM, fuel light/cutting out and dying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
reeder22
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIGHTSTER PROBLEM, fuel light/cutting out and dying!

i have an 09 nightster w/ VH Short shots, and lately i have been having a problem with the bike cutting out, dying at an idle and also not starting, i took it into the dealer and they told me that all it is, is that i have to much back pressure from the pipes and not having the highflow a/c and the dyno and the race tuner, is what was causing this. they tell me its fine to ride charge me $50 and send me on my way, well ever since then the bike had been running just fine. i rode it home from the dealer that day with no problems and everything had been good since, until last weekend, when me and a few friends were on a couple hour ride with about 110 miles between fuel stops. bike was running good the entire way until the fuel light turned on, then the bike started cutting out, and trying to die, i kept it running just long enough to get it to a gas station, topped it off with fuel and it ran just great, heading back home on the trip, that same 110mile stretch the fuel light comes on about a mile from an exit and sure enough same thing bike cutts out and trys to die, so i end up milking it as far as i can and walking it 1/4 mile down the off ramp, i fuel it up, it starts right up and runs just fine, can anyone please tell me what is going on or if they have seen anything like this before.

also i have a SE A/C on the way and the VH Fuel pak, i will be installing these on friday. but i still dont think that is going to fix my problem, and for some reason the dealer says its just to much back pressure, thats a lil hard for me to believe. thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump pickup is sitting too high in the fuel tank. How much fuel did it take to "top it off"? At 110 miles you should have between 1 and 1 1/2 gal left.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

you,sir,seem to have a fuel pump issue...MAKE the stealer address it

Last edited by notfried; 07-01-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
reeder22
3rd Gear

thanks, both times when i fueled it it took no more than 2.5 gallons. do you recommend i take it to the dealer before i put my A/C and fuel pak on? im going to take it to a different dealer than the one that told me i have to much back pressure, because there cuztomer service is crap, there service department is only concerned with getting you to spend as much money as possible. but im curious if doing the fuel pak and the A/C myself is going to void any warranty things.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

if it were me i'd get the fuel pump issue resolved first...too much back pressure my ***

Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
reeder22
3rd Gear

exactly my thoughs, and the fact that the dealer charged me 50 bucks to run diagnostics and a fuel check,and they didnt even figure out the actual problem, and when i asked them about that being under warranty they told me that because i had them install the pipes but not the race tuner and high flow A/C that it was my own fault and its not covered under the warranty cuz i went against there recommendations, which is BS because they did the pipes for me, and what was really funny, is they told me only the race tuner the dyno and the Screamin Eagle A/C would resolve the problem, they mentioned nothing to me about the power commander or the fuel pak, which is going to resolve the problem of it running lean from just having pipes on, so im done with that dealer. another question of mine is it true that you have to have the race tuner for them to access the computer to do a dyno on the bike? because thats what they are telling me

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

any stealer (or indy w/the proper equipment) can re-map your existing computer for pipes,ac,etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
reeder22
3rd Gear

well thanks for the help, im gonna try and get my bike up to the dealer tomorrow or friday, i will post what they did and what the actual problem was, that way if anyone has the same problems they can know what it is.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run about 110-120 miles and it takes about 2.5 gal when I fill up I get about 45 MPG average.. I think you are stretching it a little bit. At what milage does the low fuel light come on? Mine comes on at around 85 miles.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM
reeder22
3rd Gear

my fuel light comes on around 110 miles, and the light should be coming on with about .8 gal left in the tank, so if your fueling up with 2.5 gallons then you still have about .8 left in your tank, so you could actually get about another 25-30 miles out of it, before my bike was having the problems the light would come on and i have taken it another 35 miles with the light on and when i fueled it, it took about 3 gallons. so there is something wrong with mine, its at the dealer right now getting work done to figure out and fix the problem, cuz there is no way that when the light comes on it should cut out and die.

Quick Reply: NIGHTSTER PROBLEM, fuel light/cutting out and dying!