Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 1200c Battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 1200c Battery problem?

My bikes a 2008 model 1200c. Still standard, ie no stage 1 done yet. Only a few minor changes made including backrest with the built in running / brake light.

Only a little over 3000 miles done so far due to appaling weather last year.

It was kept on a tender last winter.

I've riden a few times this year the last was less than a week ago. Only thing I've done since then is fit a new back rack, but was careful not to damage the wiring for the running / brake light on the backrest (I've double checked that again and its fine).

Well I managed to get a couple of hours to myself for a ride this evening but when I put the key in nothing. I plugging the (Oxford) battery tender in which reverted to standby, which according to the tender manual means the battery is screwed or not accepting a charge.

I've spent an hour doing searches on here but havent found anything which helped. I'm not particularly adept at mechanical skills, just basic straight forward stuff.

I'm totally confused with this. There was no warning of a problem and I cant believe a battery would have failed this quickly. The dealer nearby isnt the most helpful in the world and lord knows how long it would take if they had to collect the bike. So if any of you have some useful suggestions this would be extreemly gratefully received.

If any of the suggestions involve checking the fuses (this did occur to me) could you give me a clue where I might find these (stop laughing, oh ok go ahead and laugh then). I only recently fixed the battery side cover on with a cable tie after it fell off yet again. Am I right in thinking theyre going to be nehind that cover?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one thing i have found out the charging systems on a sporty its slow to recharge your battery so if you don't ride that often you may need to keep it on the battery tender year round. The first thing i would do is to take the battery to the dealer or somewhere that can test the battery and see if its shot. if so replace the battery. then what i would do is check the volts in the battery with the bike running which should read around 14v. Right now mine reads 14.4v. you can buy a cheap meter for around $11.00.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Check all fuses and relays for corrosion,if all good,can still be a bad relay or loose wire.If you are not comfortable working on it yet ,take it to the dealer,should still have warranty.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I know things are different on the other side of the "pond", but are you sure that the OXFORD charger is a "tender" (float charger) and not a "trickle" charger? A trickle charger left on for an extended period will cook the battery.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
MissPenny
Stage I
Default Same thing happened to me.

2008 1200L
I hesitate to send this but if it gives you some direction to look......
The problem began last month the morning after I had washed my bike.
My hubby kept telling me I was leaving the key in the Acc. position. (I wasn't)
So we charged it overnight and left on a ride the next day.
30 miles out the battery cover fell off and scratched the crap out of the finish.
The next day, 300 miles away from home we got on our bikes to head out in the rain (it had rained all night on the bikes) and nothing. Called AAA to come and jump start it and as soon as the jumpers were off it would quit. All of the riders that were with us thought it might be the stater.
We hauled it to the Harley Dealership in Salt Lake City and they found the problem.
I am quoting them and I don't understand it all, but it might help.
The relay located in the fuse block was corroded, and it kept draining the battery until it ruined it.
They replaced the relay and the battery and put something on it to make it water resistant. This was all covered by warranty.
The new battery cover wasn't. What poor set up that cover is, and pricey to replace.
Good luck!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Many thanks for the very helpful replies from all of you.

There was no evidence of corrosion on fuses or relays.

It is a float charger rather than trickle charger, but thanks for the thought. I tried plugging it in again last night and think the tender has now blown as well.

My local dealer said they couldnt even look at the bike until 27th July at the earliest (I'm not impressed). But a sister dealership of theirs has now agreed to collect the bike on Monday although they wont be able to look at until the 13th at the earliest.

Penny, many thanks for your story. I agree wholeheartedly the cover clips are rubbish. I believe what most people do (I only started to recently) is hold the cover on using cable ties, but we really shouldnt have to.