Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
ironman46
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty question

I was told that if I dont have my services done at a dealer then my warranty is void?? true? i was also told that if I put aftermarket pipes on my warranty is void?? My buddy is a bike mechanic and is capable of helping with all services but I dont want to void any warranties....
thanks for any help

Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not. They will also try to tell you that if you dont stick with genuine HD parts it will void your warranty. That is also Crap.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
ericb445
Cruiser

If this was true they (Harley) would have to provide the services free of charge through the Warranty period.
Just keep good records it always helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I called the dealer ( 2 days ago) about my 1k service and asked that very question. They said absolutely NOT. He went on to say that many dealers may tell you that it will void the warranty but they are full of ****...just keep records of the parts you purchased as proof the service was done by you or a 3rd party and follow the manual.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as warranty goes, like was said before, warranty may be limited due to altering the bike, but by no means does it void the whole warranty. For example, if you change your pipes or intake they will not be warrantied. I have just about turned my bike inside-out and they still did the warranty work on the upper rocker gasket with no questions asked.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
ironman46
3rd Gear

thanks for all the help guys! this is a great site with great people!im glad I own a HD!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member

Some dealers will give you a hassle, but hold your ground. I checked with some of our local HD wrenches when my bike was new. They told me that HD sells a lot of accessories, and that they expect many customers to be able to perform the work themselves (and even try to persuade customers that they do not need a Tech to install many parts). Just depends on the dealer.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 AM
mattvs
Advanced

I picked up a new 2009 883L at my dealership Friday, and asked them about this very issue. I want to install a set of V&H slip ons. The dealer told me the only way I would NOT void the warranty was to have them perform the install. And, the dealer said that slip ons by themselves simply wouldn't cut it. According to them, I need them to install a new stage 1 air cleaner and an EFI remap, to the tune of $750.00.

Another HD dealer 30 miles away told me they could install just the slip ons, and it would NOT void the warranty.

So.. I do not know where the truth exists here. I think a lot of it is up to the discretion of the dealer.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If a dealer says anything about your warranty being void if you do your own service, simply ask them if they are sure about that, and then tell them you have a lawyer friend that will be happy to introduce them to the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act". You can find it HERE.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattvs
I do not know where the truth exists here. I think a lot of it is up to the discretion of the dealer.
Not true. The warranty is through HD not the dealer. If the dealer won't cover a warranty issue than contact the MoCo. about it and explain whats going on.

cHarley Has it right about the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act".

Quick Reply: warranty question