Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sideshots, a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
PermanentNightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Sideshots, a few questions...

Just got a helluva deal on some V&H Sideshots (290!). The seller says they were mounted on a display bike but never run, pipes themselves look to be in pretty great condition from the pictures but are missing a bolt and a plastic cable tie.

I'm assuming I can just use a zip tie or something to replace the cable tie, the bolt though I'm hoping I can get from any Home Depot.

As I'm stuck in Iraq for a couple more months with my brand new Nightster waitin at home I kill my time reading about how to do my mods here. So my question is to anyone that has installed their own Sideshots... the bolts... easily replaced? Anything else I'll need to pick up when the time comes to put em on besides a bolt, a zip tie and some loctite?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
googs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off... plastic cable tie? On something that reaches temps more then high enough to melt plastic? I've never installed or even seen these pipes up close, but I don't see where a cable tie would come into play.

The bolt you should be able to replace somewhere around town. If not then I'm sure you could get one from VH or your local stealer.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YOu should be able to find a bolt at the hardware store. Ususally the ones used are pretty common... I am also wondering about the plastic tie... Perhaps you mean metal worm clamp?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:34 PM
diablo666
Road Master

Maybe the cable tie is to relocate a part from the heat or maybe it is a metal cable tie I have seen those as well.I would just relax a little and cover your *** over there.When you get home it will all come together for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM
PermanentNightster
Advanced

Thanks for the quick replies, one of the reasons I love these forums!

From the Ebay listing:

CONDITION:
HAVE BEEN MOUNTED BUT NOT RUN. THE FRONT HEAD PIPE SHIELD HAS SCRATCHES TOWARD THE FRONT, SEE PHOTO. THE REAR HEAD PIPE SHIELD HAS SCRATCHES ON TOP EDGE TOWARD FRONT. THE REAR MUFFLER HAS A SMALL DENT ON THE OUTSIDE 3" FROM THE REAR, SEE PHOTO. WILL NOT SHOW WITH HEAT SHIELD IN PLACE. MISSING ONE BOLT AND ONE PLASTIC CABLE TIE.

The scratches in the picture are minimal and look like they won't be visible when mounted.. the dent appears to be the size of a dime and VERY shallow. There is a picture of the included hardware that shows two wrenches, four bolts and 6 metal worm clamps, so I would have to assume that the plastic cable tie is mistake on the seller's behalf.

listing can be seen here

Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
diablo666
Road Master

I think you are good to go it has the O2 sensor ports.If you change the air cleaner to a high flow you need to remap or get a tuner.The exhaust alone will not cause any problems.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The cable tie could of been used to hold the O2 sensor wires out of the way if needed.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:08 PM
UPSBROWN
Tourer

First off, let me say thank you for your service over in the sandbox.
Do a quick search, I know I've seen quite a few topics regarding how to put the Sideshots on because I've heard they're kind of a pain in the ***.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM
hollywood1959
Banned

Get your *** home. Don't worry about the zip tie. Rule number one. (never sweat the small stuff). Rule number 2 (everything is small stuff). LOL. The bolt should be an American standard. Let us know when you get home. Best of luck, and God speed to all of you. HOLLYWOOD.................

Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM
PermanentNightster
Advanced

Thanks for all the help. I know I've got more important things to worry about out here for the next few weeks or so but all I can think about in my down time is the wife, kids and

Quick Reply: New Sideshots, a few questions...