Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Position of bike in lane in heavy traffic
Next to cars by the dotted line
40.74%
Opposite side of the lane from cars
12.35%
Ride aggressively, constantly moving around to be more visible
33.33%
Middle of the lane
13.58%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Position of bike in the lane of traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Position of bike in the lane of traffic?

Personally I ride next to the dotted line next to traffic. My personal experience has shown me that riding there I'm more visible to the cagers in their mirrors. Don't have too much experience on 4 or 5 lane freeways but when I've been there I don't stay in one lane too long, usually fast lane so I don't have two angles of attack coming at me.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
crazyiven
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Center" I was schooled years ago, to ride in the center of the lane. When you are at a safe flowing distance they will see you in all 3 mirrors. I try to act like a car, i dont give up any part of my lane to anyone else. Just like you are going to make a right turn and you get close to the curb. That is allowing a car to slide up right next to you. Instead stay in the center of turning lane, this will allow no one to share your lane. But all in all you will use all 3 parts of a the lane you are in pending on your surroundings.

Unlike most people around town i see them up on the *** of the cars in front of them, on one side or the other. This will only let you be seen in one mirror. And hide you from other traffic, that maybe trying to merge into that lane.

The only time i ride to the left or right, is when riding in group. You are staggered taking up lane of traffic.

Last edited by crazyiven; 06-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember advice I was given years ago that applied to any kind of vehicle;

"If you can't see the operator, he can't see you."

So I guess I "ride aggressively" to increase my visibility by trying to be in a position
of eye contact with whatever is around me. Doesn't always work, but WTF..

Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man, that's a tuff one. i'm not 100% sure, but I think your supposed to ride at a safe distance from the guy in front of you in the lane opposite the guy next to you. From what I remember, you ride "away from the hazard". Although, I was passing an old lady driving a full sized Bronco in the lefthand lane. She decided she needed to be in the lefthand lane and started moving over. I was probably just behind her periferal vision (I think the front of my tire was even with the back edge of her door). She obviously was mirror driving and didn't even glance to her side. I actually accelerated to where my face was almost right next to hers and waved, but she kept coming! I actually had to "shoot the gap" between the car in front of me and her or she would have put me right into the Jersey barrier.

These days I try to ride even with the driver next to me or pass, if possible. Otherwise, I ride like everyone is out to run me over and am not afraid to use a little juice and lean to get out of an uncomfortable situation.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just passed the MSF basic rider course a week ago for the second time. There they told us that riding in traffic is a game of give and take. Usually being as vissible as possible doesn't give you the most space, and when you have the most space usually you aren't as vissible as you could be.

Then they said one of the choices up above, lane position should be very fluid. Which means you should constantly be adapting your lane position to your surroundings. Whether that be gaining more space or becoming more vissible.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Freaky Jeebus
Intermediate

I ride mostly by the center line.Except when those big rigs are coming at me then it's middle lane for me so i have time to adjust to the wind blast and any grain rocks etc. that mightfly out of the trailer and smack me in the head

Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Schneider
Novice
Thumbs down Here's a good one...

Sunday, riding on a two-lane highway at 65 MPH, as I was hugging the left side of my lane (closest to the dotted line), another rider (not someone I was riding with) comes out of nowhere and passes me on the right... at 75 MPH to boot... so although I think sticking close to the dotted line is the way to go, clearly keeping your 360 eyes around you is required to protect yourself not only from cages but from idiots on scoots!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote Option 5...'All of the above'...

Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schneider
Sunday, riding on a two-lane highway at 65 MPH, as I was hugging the left side of my lane (closest to the dotted line), another rider (not someone I was riding with) comes out of nowhere and passes me on the right... at 75 MPH to boot... so although I think sticking close to the dotted line is the way to go, clearly keeping your 360 eyes around you is required to protect yourself not only from cages but from idiots on scoots!
Bet it wasnt another HD...right?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Schneider
Novice

Yammy...

Quick Reply: Position of bike in the lane of traffic?