Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
dogedog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley

First off Hello, I am purchasing my first Harley tomorrow but I am up in the air on which one to purchase.

First one is a 1986 HD 1100 Custom custom paint with ghost flames, 1 and a half inch fat bars, chrome controls, forward controls, s&s carb and air filter, billet headlight, new duece style turn signals, great running evo engine. pillow top 2 up seat and mustang gunslinger seat, streached tank, bob tail fender, kuriakan grips and pegs with approx 20,000 miles. (3200.00 dollars)

Second one is a 1988 Harley Davidson XLH 1200 Sportster. Only 14,000 miles. Screaming Eagle Pipes, also original stock exhaust, Kuryakyn grips, sissy bar, and tool bag pretty much stock with the peanut gas tank. (3500.00)

I attached pictures of th 1986 Harley but don't have pictures of th 1988 but it is pretty much stock with exhaust modification only. Just trying to get some advice from everyone on which one would be the best one to purchase. I am in the Military and sold my Jeep Wrangler promising myself I would finally own a Harley.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley-1986-harley-1.jpg   First Harley-1986-harley-2.jpg   First Harley-1986-harley-3.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ridden 'em both? You gotta! With an 80's bike, you have to make sure everything feels right. 20,000 isn't even bad on an 86. That is less than 1,000 miles a year. As long as you like the paint and pipes on the 86, that one is set up nice... Now if you want to make it your own then maybe starting fresh with the 88 would be better... Those peanut tanks rock too, but the 86 looks like it holds a bit of gas. This going to be your daily driver since you are getting rid of the Jeep?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 PM
dogedog
6th Gear

Jeep was just a fun vehicle, Harley will be for pleasure also always wanted one since I was 16 now I am 43. I have ridden them both and they both ride great. It is a hard decision to make. I love the look of the 86 but like the mileage and size of the engine on the 88.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is tough... Either way you win. Let us know what you do, and get us some good pictures.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 PM
dogedog
6th Gear

I will have one or the other tomorrow night right after the Air Show on the base, leaning more towards the 86 only because the 88 needs a little cosmetic work and I don't have enough years in me to do a complete custom. I have to make the decision because I want my Harley.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
dogedog
6th Gear

I have made the decision to purchase the 1988 Sportster 1200 and I am picking it up tonight in about 2 hrs. Now the mission start with customizing it, figure I would get forward controls, Fat Bob tank, front and rear Dyna or Soft Tail fenders, drag bars, S&S carb kit, and a chrome kit to start things off. Does anyone have any tips of what I should be looking for as far as fit or any suggestions as to where to purchase them. I have a motorcycle salvage place really close that sells used Harley parts but you have to make sure that the parts you get are in rather good condition. I made the decision based on the mileage and me customizing and putting my own blood, sweat and tears into it. I would apprecitate it more that way instead of already having one that is already done.

Thanks
Bill

Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dogedog
I have made the decision to purchase the 1988 Sportster 1200 and I am picking it up tonight in about 2 hrs. Now the mission start with customizing it, figure I would get forward controls, Fat Bob tank, front and rear Dyna or Soft Tail fenders, drag bars, S&S carb kit, and a chrome kit to start things off. Does anyone have any tips of what I should be looking for as far as fit or any suggestions as to where to purchase them. I have a motorcycle salvage place really close that sells used Harley parts but you have to make sure that the parts you get are in rather good condition. I made the decision based on the mileage and me customizing and putting my own blood, sweat and tears into it. I would apprecitate it more that way instead of already having one that is already done.

Thanks
Bill
Good choice.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
realmccoy
Tourer
Talking get the 86

Go for the 86 i'v got one and for what everyone calls a small bike.
This thing ROCKS

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my thoughts on one of the mods you mentioned.

If it were me, I would keep the peanut tank. Nothing screams Harley Davidson quite like that classic tank.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice. try out cas4.com, debrix.com, shopabsolutecp.com, hastingsracingproducts.com. they'll hook you up with good shiit at a decent price. enjoy the harley!!!

Quick Reply: First Harley