Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding at Night?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM
hollywood1959
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in CT. Lots of traffic day or night. Depending on what area, most of the roads around here really suck. My biggest bitch is the pot holes, you could loose a truck in some of them. No B.S. I've hit a few that could take you off the bike. For that reason, I don't ride much after dark. You have to remember you only have one head lamp so to a cage you look like a one I joe car. Ride on the right side of your lane at night. Your best bet is to ride at night with a bro you can trust. And DON'T ride with sun glassess at night! That can kill you! It is great to ride after dark just slow down allot! Reaction time is short at night remember that. Get a pair of clear glasses for nite rides. Keep it in the wind, HOLLYWOOD........................

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride quite a bit at night. I like it because it's cooler but the bugs are terrible. Night riding in winter is nice though as all the bugs are gone. Since I live in a metro area deer really are not a concern for me. Night riding isn't scary or at least it shouldn't be.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 AM
883Ironman
Advanced

I like night riding. I also live in Phoenix, so obviously it's better than 100+ day temps. It's real fun but it's a little more risky of course. i ride slower and with both hands on thr handle bars..No laziness with night riding!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to ride at night. Alone. Why? Because traffic is reduced, and I could ride slower till I got used to it. I still ride slower at night than in daylight...it's a simple matter of visibility. Most of my night riding is along interstate quality roads and well-lit streets. My tail bag has a reflective strip and I have the run/turn/brake light kit from HD. I also have a hi-viz vest in the mesh pocket of my backpack for work. The vest is stuffed in the pocket in such a way that headlights from cages behind me can see it. The pack itself also has a small reflective strip on it. Riding at night in a blinding rainstorm with water droplets acting as prisms reflected by the oncoming traffic can get pretty intense at times. Basically, technique is don't over ride your headlights, slow down, don't ride beside other vehicles, and as always, ride like your invisible...because to a lot of drivers out there, you ARE!!! I love night riding in light to no traffic...it's peaceful. Most of the time.

Teek

Old 06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

I ride quite a bit in the dark. Deer are a constant that I am always on look out for... but what bothers me are those fricken armadillo. Slow moving, bucking speed bumps that blend into the pavement. God help you if they happen to have their backs turned to you where their eyes don't shine in the headlight. I almost had an up close and personal with one the other morning.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 PM
road king jay
Advanced

Because of the hours i work most of my riding is done at night. The thing i hate the most is people ride my *** because here in indiana if you aren't doing 15mph over the speed limit it seems as if I have a trailer behind me( the ******* who thinks if he keeps scooting up I'll speed up. Pass me dipshit) Anyhow riding at night is nice. I love it just like everyone else said watchout for the critters and be safe.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:31 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

I love riding at night. As has been covered many times, wildlife is probably the biggest danger. I recommend lots of lighting!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 AM
murphy08
Advanced
Smile

I mostly ride at night working the grave yard shift can't beat it more fun less traffic and like every one has said watch out for the geranimals almost hit a sknuk glad i didn't beaware over dipps in the road pot hole ect