Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Air filter bolts sucked into motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Woody7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the Wife a 1200c from Superstition HD, dealer informed Us of the problem/recall and fixed before We took delivery.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nytster
2008? No carb on that
Yeh, but it does mount to the throttle body

Surely you don't think it just floats there? LOL

The SE stage1 A/C is poorly designed, pretty simple.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fogoms
While I'm not prepared to argue that this hasn't happened to some people, I don't see how it can happen as often as it's been reported. First, the screws don't just pass through a plain hole in the backing plate, there's a threaded insert in the plate that the screws have to go through before threading into the air intake flange. It's not easy to back the screws out of the flange and then out of the threaded inserts without first loosening all three screws and separating the plate from the flange, then picking up the second set of threads in the plate. It's not something that I find very likely to happen all by itself. If you've installed one of these air cleaners you know what I'm talking about. Again, I'm not going to argue that this hasn't happened, but it smells just a bit of urban legend to me.

I have the culprit air cleaner on my bike and none of the three backing plate screws has ever come loose. How do I know? I check them at every 5,000 mile maintenance interval. And I installed them with Loctite per the instructions.

The HD stage 1 backing plate is a plastic POS! it's no urban legend.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:37 PM
chopfury
Cruiser

can this also happen with the heavy breather?

Old 06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
hogsport
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fogoms
While I'm not prepared to argue that this hasn't happened to some people, I don't see how it can happen as often as it's been reported. First, the screws don't just pass through a plain hole in the backing plate, there's a threaded insert in the plate that the screws have to go through before threading into the air intake flange. It's not easy to back the screws out of the flange and then out of the threaded inserts without first loosening all three screws and separating the plate from the flange, then picking up the second set of threads in the plate. It's not something that I find very likely to happen all by itself. If you've installed one of these air cleaners you know what I'm talking about. Again, I'm not going to argue that this hasn't happened, but it smells just a bit of urban legend to me.

I have the culprit air cleaner on my bike and none of the three backing plate screws has ever come loose. How do I know? I check them at every 5,000 mile maintenance interval. And I installed them with Loctite per the instructions.

My SE ac was dealer installed - no loctite. I think they do not use loctite because of the threaded plate Fogoms describes. But I can see how one out of every 1,000 or so would line up just right and >>>> -- I put loctite on mine