Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyones speedo hiting the tank.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyones speedo hiting the tank.?

Just got back from ROT.. if you missed it im sorry.. it was a blast.. My issue is that me and my parents went and used my dads toy hauler to park the bikes in so that we would have a tailer there to sleep in. Got there and noticed that the speedo had been resting on the paint of the gas tank then entire time.. pulled the the bike out and there it is a nice.. 2" by 1/4" chip in the pain all the way to the metal.. looks great.. anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issues in the future.. ? in the case that I have to haul it again.. ?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 AM
googs
Tourer

Where'd you have the straps? Were they pulling the bars down?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how hauling the bike relates to the speedo hitting the tank??

Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

Yes.. they were on the bars.. every bike I've ever had to move with another vehicle Ive used the bars as the tie down point then on in the back.. that way the wheel keeps straight and doesn't shift during transport..

Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Don't see how the speedo can hit the tank unless you bent or broke something. What aren't you telling us?

FYI: I always strap off using the lower triple tree and only compress the forks about 1".

Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The solution is easy. DON'T haul the bike on a trailer. Ride it there. It's not the destination it's the journey.

When we were leaving Thunder Beach in Panama city last month, I couldn't believe the number of trailers heading out on Sunday. Once we were 100 miles away, the trailers outnumbered the bikes on the road by a staggering amount. And to top it off, half of them had Florida plates on the truck and trailer. Some people just don't get it.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On a custom like yours, strapping it down there will/could cause the speedo to hit the tank, as you have found out. In the future, strap her down my the lower trees, she likes it. On a scoot that age I'd go back and check the bolts/nuts holding the risers on the top tree. They are probibally ok but better to be safe, and if the bushings need to be replaced, get the poly bushings, way better than stock.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
googs
Tourer

Originally Posted by wingman1946
I don't see how hauling the bike relates to the speedo hitting the tank??
Read the post above please, thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Zimbob
On a custom like yours, strapping it down there will/could cause the speedo to hit the tank, as you have found out. In the future, strap her down my the lower trees, she likes it. On a scoot that age I'd go back and check the bolts/nuts holding the risers on the top tree. They are probibally ok but better to be safe, and if the bushings need to be replaced, get the poly bushings, way better than stock.

Thanks for the heads up.. I'll check it when I get home.. better safe then sorry.. Any suggestions on where I can get poly bushings?

and just to let you know 95yj.. I feel you if I wouldn't have had issues with my running and turn signal lights then I would have ridden it home.. weather was nice.. hot but nice.. turns out the one of the plugs under the seat had gotten smashed between the seat and something else the last time I took the seat off.. got it fixed up and got lights again..

Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
On a custom like yours, strapping it down there will/could cause the speedo to hit the tank, as you have found out.
Although I always use the lower trees to strap to, I don't get this?? If he strapped to the handle bars as he said, it still shouldn't have hit the tank. The bars and risers do not move independantly from the tank. If the bars move downward, then the tank also moves downward. If not, then the bars would hit the tank every time you hit a large bump in the road.
I can't see how strapping it down, if done properly, would cause the speedo to hit the tank??

Quick Reply: Anyones speedo hiting the tank.?